+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport name query

Anurag321

Jun 12, 2021
My mother's name in my passport is wrong and I want to get it updated.
Is it possible to update my passport with my deceased mother's name from her documents?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My mother's name in my passport is wrong and I want to get it updated.
Is it possible to update my passport with my deceased mother's name from her documents?
Canada doesn't have parents' names in passport, so you must address your question to your home country's embassy or passport authority.

Anurag321

Jun 12, 2021
Sorry my question was different. Will there be any questions raised if mother's name is different to what's mentioned in my education documents. Since I'm unable to change the mother's name in the passport I'm In doubt due to this.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sorry my question was different. Will there be any questions raised if mother's name is different to what's mentioned in my education documents. Since I'm unable to change the mother's name in the passport I'm In doubt due to this.
Short form: no, but provide a letter of explanation if appropriate.

Long form: you've not provided any context about what you're doing, how could anyone possibly answer your question in a meaningful way?

Anurag321

Jun 12, 2021
Short form: no, but provide a letter of explanation if appropriate.

Long form: you've not provided any context about what you're doing, how could anyone possibly answer your question in a meaningful way?
I agree but I asked in general. OK and In specific I'm asking for sinp. I have ITA, already provided loe about the name concern but was just curious if this may become an issue. Although, I asked passport authorities in India they have put the application on hold and told once person is no more you can't modify the name.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I agree but I asked in general. OK and In specific I'm asking for sinp. I have ITA, already provided loe about the name concern but was just curious if this may become an issue. Although, I asked passport authorities in India they have put the application on hold and told once person is no more you can't modify the name.
In general it's not a problem esp if disclosed to IRCC (eg by means of letter of explanation). They seem to be aware that name issues are common with docs like these (esp in certain countries, incl notably India).

Could be an issue if they think there's some dishonesty behind it and/or it causes problem identifying individual. I don't think they start with assumption there is a problem but - as with any background-check type thing - the more inconsistencies, the more checks and delays it might lead to.

All a bit hypothetical of course.