+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport held by Fedex - Commercial Invoice required

praturi

Sep 23, 2016
Hi,

I sent my passport to Ottawa office last week after 'PPR' request. Currently I am in US. I used FedEx service for passport delivery.
My tracker for passport delivery activated yesterday, but today in tracking status there was an exception 'Commercial Invoice required'.
I called Fedex customer care and they are asking for a commercial invoice from sender before customs can release my envelope(containing my passport).

Anyone in this situation? What should I do. I don't know how to contact CPC ottawa over phone and get an immediate response.
Please help.

Thanks.

praturi

Sep 23, 2016
I went through a trauma for last few days. CPC Ottawa wont respond back on emails and FedEx wont release my documents.
Finally, one of the agent suggested to submit commercial invoice by myself. I did it and after 1.5 days approx it got released. The format is available online. I received my passport today.

I just wanted to updated in this forum.

supreets2

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
I went through a trauma for last few days. CPC Ottawa wont respond back on emails and FedEx wont release my documents.
Finally, one of the agent suggested to submit commercial invoice by myself. I did it and after 1.5 days approx it got released. The format is available online. I received my passport today.

I just wanted to updated in this forum.
Thanks for the update praturi.
Can you share the link for the customs form you had to fill? and what $ value did you put in it.
Also, Since FedEx envelope is of one size, for return how did you manage to put an envelope inside the outgoing envelope?

numberone

Jul 26, 2017
I received an email today from Fedex stating that my package can't be delivered due the missing commercial invoice form. When I sent my PP to Ottawa, I had included a commercial invoice form in the return envelope. I don't understand why Fedex is still asking me that form. May be CIC forgot to put the form inside the envelope when they sent my PP back to me?

Those who had the same problem, please share your experiences. How did you solve this issue?
Thank you

Reactions: nsrk

casiopiabiswas

Nov 13, 2017
Guys,

I spoke to CIC agent yesterday and I was told that they sent my passports back via FedEx to my States address. I have been checking the tracker and there is no update since then. I spoke to FedEx customer agent and they dont have any info any further. This is really worrying. Is there any way to approach this situation?

Hopeful4Canada

Oct 23, 2017
Hello Friends,

Hope some of you can answer my query through their experience.

I have received the PPR request and in the process of creating a return shipment label for passports to be delivered back to USA from CIC Canada.

I am stuck at 'Customs Information' section which is the 3rd section in FedEx Ship Manager Lite. There are 2 divisions for Products Or Documents... I am not sure what needs to be selected here.
Please can you let me know what needs to be selected here so that we can have the necessary commercial invoice generated.
Also, I suppose this is only required for return shipment? Onward shipment can be done in either local USPS or FedEx office in person?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Appreciate your help!

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Sharing my experience which may help some people here.

I sent PP to Ottawa from States via Fedex early this year. Everything went smooth. I created a fedex profile only for this because the fedex representative at the store could not create a return shipment on my behalf. Return shipment billing was marked as to be paid by the fedex account holder/receiver i.e. me. This will be charged on your CC after return delivery is complete. Make sure your CC info is provided in your fedex account (if you create one).

Since this is just a document, it should not require a commercial invoice but I have been getting mixed responses on this. To be safe I spoke to the fedex representative at the store to find out options for an invoice for return shipment. I was told that if I just include an airway bill (can be found at fedex store, probably online too) for return shipment, the fedex package handler in Canada can create an invoice based on the info provided in the airway bill. I put value worth as $5, chose overnight delivery, put the return shipping date a week after the day I sent it from states. Opted for pick-up from nearest fedex store as the delivery guy sometimes drops my mail outside my mail box. Got back PP and CoPR in 10 days.

Reactions: mbaleine

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Sharing my experience which may help some people here.

I sent PP to Ottawa from States via Fedex early this year. Everything went smooth. I created a fedex profile only for this because the fedex representative at the store could not create a return shipment on my behalf. Return shipment billing was marked as to be paid by the fedex account holder/receiver i.e. me. This will be charged on your CC after return delivery is complete. Make sure your CC info is provided in your fedex account (if you create one).

Since this is just a document, it should not require a commercial invoice but I have been getting mixed responses on this. To be safe I spoke to the fedex representative at the store to find out options for an invoice for return shipment. I was told that if I just include an airway bill (can be found at fedex store, probably online too) for return shipment, the fedex package handler in Canada can create an invoice based on the info provided in the airway bill. I put value worth as $5, chose overnight delivery, put the return shipping date a week after the day I sent it from states. Opted for pick-up from nearest fedex store as the delivery guy sometimes drops my mail outside my mail box. Got back PP and CoPR in 10 days.
Did you select the signature required option while delivering? I'm a little worried because it is a PO box address so there might not be anyone present to sign for it.

cc31

Sep 5, 2017
Canada
Did you select the signature required option while delivering? I'm a little worried because it is a PO box address so there might not be anyone present to sign for it.
I don't remember seeing such an option (I used Fedex) but definitely ask for signature if its there. Plus I did not have to send it to a PO address. I was asked to send to -

CPC - Ottawa - PR
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON K1A 1L1

Rangrez

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I am in the same boat, planning to send PP tomorrow. It would be great if someone can answer this. Do we have to sign the commercial invoice?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I am in the same boat, planning to send PP tomorrow. It would be great if someone can answer this. Do we have to sign the commercial invoice?
I did sign the invoice, but not sure if it was right or not, my passports were returned safely.
Do confirm elsewhere though if possible