Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th July
VISA ISSUED...
21 July !!!
LANDED..........
On my Way!
Hello. I just joined this wonderful forum today. I had gone through similar topics about the passport expiry issues on this forum but could not find the answers that I 'm looking for. Hopefully, I find some help and I'd be glad if someone who solves my problem.

I've applied to Brock University for CAS and MBA (ISP) programs. CAS is for 8 months and MBA program is for 2 years. (I've actually got an unconditional offer letter for MBA) and also got my student visa valid until 30/07/2015.
After my CAS, the norm is to extend my study permit/student visa (Before 30 days my study permit expires) in order to pursue my MBA program. But the problem is my passport is going to expire on 09/10/2016(the MBA program is until june 2017). I am aware that I should renew my passport first and then apply for extending my study permit. But the catch is I won't be able to renew my passport until 9th september 2015 because according to the visa rules of my country I would only be able to renew my passport only if its less than 1 year from its expiry date.

My questions are:
1. Should I go ahead and apply for my study permit extension? Will the study permit be valid till the duration of my passport validity?
2. And, if I get a study permit which is valid until my passport expiry date, then, after I 've renewed my passport, how would I have to renew my study permit again?

jessica1

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 july 2014
IELTS Request
7.5 all > 6.5
Med's Request
Pre
VISA ISSUED...
19 july 2014
LANDED..........
sooonn
that rule of renewing passport is crap, there is no written rule about passport renewal date at government passport website that when one can apply for passport renewal.One month ago I got my passport renewed 18 months before the expiry date. get yours renewed , if you will renew in canada it will cost you a lot more as compare to agent fee in india. Just pay to a good agent in passport office and this passport updated. Many will not recommend to go an agent as all things are going online now a days in passport office but If you want your job to get done then pay to good agent who has experience of years in passport stuff , dont go for new part time agent, always hire agent who has office near passport office.

TY

Dinesh9

Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th July
VISA ISSUED...
21 July !!!
LANDED..........
On my Way!
Thanks for the reply and help, Jessica. I just got my student visa a couple of days back and I'm planning to leave for Canada the next month as my CAS course is going to commence from 3rd September onwards. So, I think I won't be able to renew it in India. But, if that passport renew rule is not much of an issue, then I'd be happy to renew it in Canada as cost is not a concern for me.
Btw, I've read that passport renewal rule on the Indian Government site (passport website). Anyway, how did you go by renewing your passport? Did you go through an agent or did the work all by yourself?

jessica1

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 july 2014
IELTS Request
7.5 all > 6.5
Med's Request
Pre
VISA ISSUED...
19 july 2014
LANDED..........
sooonn
agent of course. I paid 3 times the standard fee to get my job done ,so 3 time standard fee gave me following advantage :-

1. I got renewed passport on second day in my hand in my home.
2. Passport was dispatched before police verification normally they dispatch after police verification.

worth the money.

TY

Dinesh9

Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th July
VISA ISSUED...
21 July !!!
LANDED..........
On my Way!
Thanks once again Jessica for the information. I'm in a funny situation actually, currently my passport has more than 2 years (27 months) of validity. I think I'd have to renew my passport in Canada itself.
Another question I have is regarding the study permit extension. If my passport validity expires before the duration of the course, will CIC give me a study permit extension upto the validity date of my passport or not? (I will be opening a new discussion also regarding this question, want to know if someone else had been in the similar situation and how did they tackle that situation). Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help and time Jessica.
I see that even you have got your Study Visa recently, I wish you all the best for your studies and future in Canada.

tanisha

Jul 24, 2014
it doesn't mtter myne is going to expire on 23-2-2015.......
u can go to indian emmbessy there .... nd do the process

Dinesh9

Jul 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th July
VISA ISSUED...
21 July !!!
LANDED..........
On my Way!
tanisha said:
it doesn't mtter myne is going to expire on 23-2-2015.......
u can go to indian emmbessy there .... nd do the process
Hello Tanisha. Thanks for replying. You can renew your passport because it has less than 1 year of validity. But I can't renew my passport because it has more than 1 year of validity. Anyway I'll try for a renewal in Canada and see what happens, whether they will give me a new passport or not even though I will have more than 1 year validity on the passport.