+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiry and VISA for study

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
Hello, one of my friends applied for a study permit visa from outside Canada and the application is approved, they sent him the passport request letter to stamp the visa, his passport will expire in December 2024 and his studies will end on May 2025, and the visa cannot be granted after the passport expiry, is there a risk here that they will not give the visa? or they can grant it and he will renew passport and extend my permit later next year in Canada? maybe someone had the same experience please let me know.

Last edited:

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello, one of my friends applied for a study permit visa from outside Canada and the application is approved, they sent him the passport request letter to stamp the visa, his passport will expire in December 2024 and his studies will end on May 2025, and the visa cannot be granted after the passport expiry, is there a risk here that they will not give the visa? or they can grant it and he will renew passport and extend my permit later next year in Canada? maybe someone had the same experience please let me know.
They should issue the permit until his PP expires. He should renew his passport once allowed to do depending on the rules of his country then apply for an extension ATLEAST 30 days before the expiry of the SP that is issued, but that can be done as soon as he gets the new PP. An extension should be issued as long as he is/has been abiding by the terms of the initial study permit.

SanMin

Mar 2, 2018
Hello Yaacoub89,

How is your study permit application? Have you applied?
I have similar issue with my passport and estimated date the course will end. My passport will expire in April 2025 and my course will end in June 2025 according to acceptance letter.
I am wondering if the reply to your question helped what you were asking for.

Thank you!

yaacoub89

May 21, 2016
Hello Yaacoub89,

How is your study permit application? Have you applied?
I have similar issue with my passport and estimated date the course will end. My passport will expire in April 2025 and my course will end in June 2025 according to acceptance letter.
I am wondering if the reply to your question helped what you were asking for.

Thank you!
Hello all good with the application it was approved withing less than a month.
they gave the study visa until passport expiry day, later on will renew it in Canada and renew study permit.

in your case i don’t think there is an issue they will gove you until passport expiry day.

Rahil Khan

Star Member
Jan 22, 2023
Hello all good with the application it was approved withing less than a month.
they gave the study visa until passport expiry day, later on will renew it in Canada and renew study permit.

in your case i don’t think there is an issue they will gove you until passport expiry day.
Hello Bro,
I need your help as it's an emergency I applied for study Permit and during application I used my passport that was valid for 7 months but I renewed it one month before getting ppr and send it through web form to IRCC...After getting PPR I sent my passport for Stamping and today I got my passport but the issue is that my study permit expires after 1 month becuase of my previous passport expiry date and I am travelling on 11 January so will it create any issue?Really worried

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Bro,
I need your help as it's an emergency I applied for study Permit and during application I used my passport that was valid for 7 months but I renewed it one month before getting ppr and send it through web form to IRCC...After getting PPR I sent my passport for Stamping and today I got my passport but the issue is that my study permit expires after 1 month becuase of my previous passport expiry date and I am travelling on 11 January so will it create any issue?Really worried
No. Extend study permit when you are in Canada. Enter before expiry.