+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passport expired

macaogourmet

May 1, 2024
I'm applying for Permanent Residency in Canada, and I am the principal applicant. My dependants include my spouse and my child. My spouse's passport has expired. Can I still apply?

macaogourmet

May 1, 2024
Since the application requires you to submit valid passports, you must ensure it gets renewed before submitting.
thank you so much for your answering!

I read in the original text: 'You must hold a valid regular passport. Diplomatic, official, service, or public affairs passports are not valid for immigration to Canada.'

If we take this literally, my understanding is that only the principal applicant's passport is MUST?

Additionally, I just tried filling out the application form, and the lack of a passport didn't prevent submission.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If we take this literally, my understanding is that only the principal applicant's passport is MUST?
All applicants (principal applicant + dependants) need passports. The sponsor doesn't need one.

This may sound obvious, but you didn't specify that you were referring to the sponsor (context might have implied that, but wasn't obvious).

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

I read in the original text: 'You must hold a valid regular passport. Diplomatic, official, service, or public affairs passports are not valid for immigration to Canada.'

Additionally, I just tried filling out the application form, and the lack of a passport didn't prevent submission.
Think of it this way. She won't be getting on a plane without a passport, even if they would process the application without one (which they won't). Get it renewed.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM

This text means to have regular passports, not special ones for diplomats, government officials, military or other special passports which are only used for their intended purpose and not for immigration.

armored is right, I see it is not for a family sponsorship application because this one requires a sponsor who is already a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada.

binnareyn

Jun 9, 2020

Try reading this to yourself looking at a mirror. What do you see?!

Your completeness check will fail and the application will be returned to you with fees, smart ass!