+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Application Question

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce that I recently became a Canadian citizen. I plan on applying for a passport this coming week, however, I have a question regarding the passport application form.

Under Section 4: Proof of Canadian Citizenship, subsection B, do I select 'certificate of Canadian citizenship' or 'certificate of naturalization', if I was born outside Canada?

I would be very appreciative if you can help me.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce that I recently became a Canadian citizen. I plan on applying for a passport this coming week, however, I have a question regarding the passport application form.

Under Section 4: Proof of Canadian Citizenship, subsection B, do I select 'certificate of Canadian citizenship' or 'certificate of naturalization', if I was born outside Canada?

I would be very appreciative if you can help me.

Thank you very much in advance!
Which certificate did you receive when you got your citizenship? If you got it through immigration, then they fill in certificate of citizenship. If you got it through your parents and was born outside Canada, then put certificate of naturalization.
Sometimes the right answer are the most obvious .

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Which certificate did you receive when you got your citizenship? If you got it through immigration, then they fill in certificate of citizenship. If you got it through your parents and was born outside Canada, then put certificate of naturalization.
It isn't that obvious though.

Naturalization just means becoming a citizen if you were born outside the country. So the confusion is quite understandable.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
It isn't that obvious though.

Naturalization just means becoming a citizen if you were born outside the country. So the confusion is quite understandable.
But do they have a certificate of citizenship or certificate of naturalization in their possession? I can also see where it can be confusing, but looking at what they have with them can help

UnleashedFX

Oct 21, 2016
Thank you for the answers. I was born outside Canada and neither of my parents are Canadian. I received the standard Citizenship Certificate at the ceremony from IRCC. I would think it's the citizenship certificate option, but technically I did become a citizen through naturalization, which is where I got confused.

Reactions: smash1984