+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport application - outside Canada

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,

Im currently in Canada but I’ll apply for my passport outside Canada .
I have questions about the guarantor and references . Can my guarantor sign my application before I fill it out or do I have to fill it out then he can sign it ? I just don’t have time or the energy ( I’m sick ) to fill out the application right now . So how does my guarantor sign my application ?
and does he have to sign it after my oath or can he sign it on the day of my oath or before ?
I know he has to sign the application and one picture is that correct ?
Anything else ?
Thank you

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The guarantor has to attest that you are a Canadian citizen at the moment he signs your application. So, he can only sign the application after your oath, regardless of when you actually send it.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I used occupation based gurantor as I submitted my request from USA.
File sent on 17th May 2022 and passport delivered on 21st June 2022
Does he need to have known you for 2 years ? How about the references ? Do they need to be PR or citizens ? And do we need 2 or 4 references ? Thank you

hungtington

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
I did the following: 2 hours after my oath, I met with my guarantor and she signed the photo and form for me. The location is a city in Canada. The next morning, I left Canada without a Canadian passport.

After I received my certificate (mailed to me by relative), I filled out the rest of the form, signed (location not in Canada), and submitted.

Got passport successfully.

hungtington

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
The guarantor has to attest that you are a Canadian citizen at the moment he signs your application. So, he can only sign the application after your oath, regardless of when you actually send it.
The passport application form has something that says, the guarantor attests that the information above the "guarantor" section (I forgot the section numbers) is correct. This does not include the section of "when did the applicant become a citizen". So technically, the guarantor does not need to attest that the applicant is a citizen; it is the passport office's responsibility.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Does he need to have known you for 2 years ? How about the references ? Do they need to be PR or citizens ? And do we need 2 or 4 references ? Thank you
I'm willing to bet money that the instructions - to which i provided a link above - could answer some of these questions.

Arpana31

Dec 21, 2021
If you are using occupation based gurantor then 2 references are needed.
Yes, person needs to know you for atleast 2 years

If gurantor not available then you can reach out to consulate and then they can send you additional form which can be used in lieu of gurantor not available.
In this case, you would need additional 2 references.

Details about eligible references should be available on cic website. I am not sure.
I used my friends and aunts name.
None of them were contacted.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I did the following: 2 hours after my oath, I met with my guarantor and she signed the photo and form for me. The location is a city in Canada. The next morning, I left Canada without a Canadian passport.

After I received my certificate (mailed to me by relative), I filled out the rest of the form, signed (location not in Canada), and submitted.

Got passport successfully.
Oh great thank you ! During the oath, did they ask you if you’re leaving Canada ? What did you say?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
They didn't ask...
Huntington can I ask how long it took you from when you submitted your passport application to when you received it? I'm applying from the UK and it's been 10.5 weeks since submission, was told they'd now finally sent to Canada as of last Friday and that it should now take no longer than 2 weeks to turnaround....'should' being the key word there.