+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PASSPORT AFTER DENIED REFUGEE CLAIM

Meqc

Mar 5, 2021
Hi!
Please if someone can help me, I was denied my refugee claim. I will apply for a appeal. But in the meantime I want to know if it’s possible to get a new passport from my embassy?
Also, it’s possible to apply for the US visa while I’m waiting the government response?
and Can I ever apply for a new passport if my appeal failed?

Thank you so much.
Thank you so much.
Have a great day!

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Applying for a new passport from your home country while you are appealing a refugee claim is probably about the worst thing you could be doing at this time.

Reactions: Meqc

Meqc

Mar 5, 2021
Thank you so much for replying! Can I ever apply for a new passport if my appeal failed?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Hi!
Please if someone can help me, I was denied my refugee claim. I will apply for a appeal. But in the meantime I want to know if it’s possible to get a new passport from my embassy?
Also, it’s possible to apply for the US visa while I’m waiting the government response?

Thank you so much.
Thank you so much.
Have a great day!
You can get a new passport from your home country embassy but keep in mind that the embassy will need to know the whereabouts of your current passport.

You can't apply for US visa in canada unless you have a valid status here (e.g. student permit or work permit). You cannot use your refugee claimant ID as a proof of status because you're out of status until your claim is approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi!

Thank you so much.
Thank you so much.
Have a great day!
Applying for a new passport essentially shows that you are seeking the protection of your home country. You can lose your protected person status for reapplying for your home country passport. It's called reavailment. It would be a very bad signal to government during your appeal process. Until you have status in Canada you can't travel to the US because there are no guarantees you'll be able to reenter Canada and the US is unlikely to give you a visa.