+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passing the border from US - Aunt in Canada

Cyrex78

May 13, 2019
Greetings:

I would like to seek asylum in Canada and have valid, justifiable reasons for it. I am in the US and want to cross the border. My “maternal aunt” lives in Canada and is a permanent resident. Can she come to the border to pick me up? If so, are there any rules or certain documentations that I need to provide in order to gain entry? Would I need to show documents to prove my relationship with my aunt? Would showing photos and videos be enough? I say this because I do not have any document to prove my relationship except photos and videos. My national ID card only has my father’s name, not my mothers. It is difficult to prove my relationship with my maternal aunt beyond photos and videos.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings:

I would like to seek asylum in Canada. I am in the US and want to cross the border. My aunt lives in Canada. Can she come to the border to pick me up? If so, are there any rules or certain documentations that I need to provide in order to gain entry?

Thank you so much!
Is your aunt permanent resident or Citizen?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you have to prove your relationship to your aunt. Not sure of your story but applying for asylum should be the last resort. If you get denied it can have longterm consequences. Have you consulted with immigration lawyers about your case? No lawyer should guarantee asylum or they are lying to you but they should advise you if you have a chance. Things like not trying to relocate to another area of your home country is one of the reasons many are refused.

Cyrex78

May 13, 2019
Yes you have to prove your relationship to your aunt. Not sure of your story but applying for asylum should be the last resort. If you get denied it can have longterm consequences. Have you consulted with immigration lawyers about your case? No lawyer should guarantee asylum or they are lying to you but they should advise you if you have a chance. Things like not trying to relocate to another area of your home country is one of the reasons many are refused.
Thank you very much! Would photos and videos be enough to prove the relationship? I have no other way or document to prove it because in my country the national ID contains only father name, not mother name. She is my maternal aunt and I do not have any document to prove it except through photos and videos.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much! Would photos and videos be enough to prove the relationship? I have no other way or document to prove it because in my country the national ID contains only father name, not mother name. She is my maternal aunt and I do not have any document to prove it except through photos and videos.
Photos and videos do not prove that you are related to someone and won't help as evidence.

Does your birth certificate show your mother's name?

Reactions: canuck78

Cyrex78

May 13, 2019
Photos and videos do not prove that you are related to someone and won't help as evidence.

Does your birth certificate show your mother's name?
No it does not unfortunately. However, I have stated her name in my US visa application. Would that help?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No it does not unfortunately. However, I have stated her name in my US visa application. Would that help?
You need an official document that proves the relationship. The visa application doesn't do this (you can write anything in the visa application). You need something like a birth certificate or passport or official identification document. In some countries official school documents list parents as well.