+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passing on Citizenship for my PR child

Sojj

May 26, 2018
Hello,

I am a little confused on whether I should apply for a naturalization application for my child using this link (apply for your child’s Canadian citizenship (naturalization or grant of citizenship)). Or if I should apply for a citizenship certificate directly?

Here is my situation:-

- I have recently became a citizen, and I have not applied for my child on the same application because he was yet to complete 3 years as a PR.
- He is now a PR and have completed 2.5 years.
- He was born outside Canada.

The rules around the certificate VS naturalization application for minors with Canadian parents are a bit confusing and not sure which application I should be using.

Could someone help :) ?

Thanks much!

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Hello,

I am a little confused on whether I should apply for a naturalization application for my child using this link (apply for your child’s Canadian citizenship (naturalization or grant of citizenship)). Or if I should apply for a citizenship certificate directly?

Here is my situation:-

- I have recently became a citizen, and I have not applied for my child on the same application because he was yet to complete 3 years as a PR.
- He is now a PR and have completed 2.5 years.
- He was born outside Canada.

The rules around the certificate VS naturalization application for minors with Canadian parents are a bit confusing and not sure which application I should be using.

Could someone help :) ?

Thanks much!
Your minor child did not automatically become a citizen on the day you acquired Canadian citizenship. This is because, in order to pass on your citizenship, you need to have been a Canadian citizen at the time of your child's birth.

Therefore, you need to apply for citizenship for him/her.

Last edited:
Reactions: harirajmohan