+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Partner on a work Visa... Need to apply for Permanent residency but being a Turtle about it and now I'm pregnant :S

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
Hello Everyone ,

So quick resume of my situation :

My partner and I been together for 5 years. I'm a Canadian (Quebec) He is British . 1 year long distance. The following 2 years in England and he is now here on 2 years work visa in Montreal since October 2018.

I want to sponsor him since I believe it would be the easiest route for him to get his permanent residency. I did 80 % of the paper work last summer. He had to do the remaining 20 % but unfortunately it appears I'm dating an idiot who thinks this is an easy peasy process that can be done in a month.

Now, I did not care before as I thought to myself, that will be his problem but I just found out I'm pregnant. Did not plan this but now a third person will be with us in October.
His visa finishes in late september.

So what are my best options here ? Should I give everything to an immigration lawyer and hope he get approve before he work visa runs out ( and he lose his job).
Can he extend his work visa ? Could he apply to be permanent without me sponsoring him ? Could he get parental leave if he gets is residency ?

Honestly, I'm so angry with him and that he just did not take this seriously, but right now I have to think about that third person that did not do anything to deserve this.

Thanks in advance for the recommandations

simoneleah

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Hey! If his visa doesn't expire until September, you've still got time. Obviously these situations can be complicated but you guys can definitely do this. I doubt you'd need to hire a lawyer.

Complete an inland spousal sponsorship application. You can note that you're pregnant. You can also apply for your partner's open work permit (will be good for another 2 years) while doing that. OWPs take 4-5 months to process from the time you mail in the entire application. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

The OWP will give your spouse "implied status." Since he already has a work permit, he will be able to continue working until the OWP with the sponsorship is approved or rejected. It is incredibly unlikely that an OWP will be rejected, although sometimes it isn't approved until almost the end of the sponsorship process. Still, as long as the application isn't returned (due to missing fees, etc.), your partner will enjoy implied status until a decision is made.

I got married in July and we submitted our application in September, but if you have already compiled a lot of stuff for it, you should be able to do it more quickly and without a consultant or a lawyer.

You probably already know that Quebec can take longer, but I believe he should still be able to get the OWP in a similar timeline, possibly before his current visa runs out. And he would still have implied status.

Good luck! :)

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
Hey! If his visa doesn't expire until September, you've still got time. Obviously these situations can be complicated but you guys can definitely do this. I doubt you'd need to hire a lawyer.

Complete an inland spousal sponsorship application. You can note that you're pregnant. You can also apply for your partner's open work permit (will be good for another 2 years) while doing that. OWPs take 4-5 months to process from the time you mail in the entire application. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

The OWP will give your spouse "implied status." Since he already has a work permit, he will be able to continue working until the OWP with the sponsorship is approved or rejected. It is incredibly unlikely that an OWP will be rejected, although sometimes it isn't approved until almost the end of the sponsorship process. Still, as long as the application isn't returned (due to missing fees, etc.), your partner will enjoy implied status until a decision is made.

I got married in July and we submitted our application in September, but if you have already compiled a lot of stuff for it, you should be able to do it more quickly and without a consultant or a lawyer.

You probably already know that Quebec can take longer, but I believe he should still be able to get the OWP in a similar timeline, possibly before his current visa runs out. And he would still have implied status.

Good luck! :)
Thank you ! It's reassuring a bit :)

Reactions: simoneleah