+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

part time working at night

amir_kabir

Sep 14, 2018
hi
I'm a international student and I started to work part-time at night shift. I have the following questions, I would be thankful if someone could answer my questions:

1- I have to work 20 hours a week during semester, my work schedule is 3 shifts, each shift is from 23:45 to 7:15, which is 7 hours and half. but there is 30 minutes for launch break, so does each shift would be 7 hours on my record? I mean the total number of hours would be 21? (3 shifts)

2- I worked sunday night shift at April 7th, I'm not sure whether this shift counts on the week starting from Monday 8th or the prevoius week??!!!

3- during the breaks, do I need to get a letter from university regarding working full-time? or just based on the university calender, I could start to work full-time after startimlng the break??

4- how many hours I could work based on full-te permit? 40 hours a week or I could work more too??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hi
I'm a international student and I started to work part-time at night shift. I have the following questions, I would be thankful if someone could answer my questions:

1- I have to work 20 hours a week during semester, my work schedule is 3 shifts, each shift is from 23:45 to 7:15, which is 7 hours and half. but there is 30 minutes for launch break, so does each shift would be 7 hours on my record? I mean the total number of hours would be 21? (3 shifts)

2- I worked sunday night shift at April 7th, I'm not sure whether this shift counts on the week starting from Monday 8th or the prevoius week??!!!

3- during the breaks, do I need to get a letter from university regarding working full-time? or just based on the university calender, I could start to work full-time after startimlng the break??

4- how many hours I could work based on full-te permit? 40 hours a week or I could work more too??
1) it depends on what your employment contract states for actual hours. It probably won't matter, as last time I checked, 21 is still more than 20, and therefore illegal.
2) Sunday is day 1 of the working week by default in Ontario (https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/tools/hours/weekly_biweekly_free_time_tutorial.php) Probably the same elsewhere.
3) no idea.
4) full-time is anything 30 hours or above.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi

1. As said above, doesn't matter, as you are still over the 20 hour limit and therefore working illegally.

2. Week in Canada generally runs Sunday to Saturday.

3. No.

4. You can work as much as you want while on a scheduled break.