+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part Time Work - Points Calculation

sarkhan9229

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I have recently done my points calculation on the official website and my score was 419. Everything was good except that I am very short on work experience. I am really confused on how they calculate the hours so that is why I am gonna ask the question here.

How does it work with a part time job that has fluctuating hours? I have been working at Oxford Learning Center as a tutor since November 2017 and my hours have always been between 12-15 per week. For the rest of it, I have been self-employed, serving customers as an in-home tutor.

How long do I have to keep working at this current job (12-15 hours a week) to be eligible for Express Entry?

Thank you so much for your reply!

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
According to this article on the IRCC website:

Your skilled work experience must be:
  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • within the last 10 years
  • paid work (This means you must have been paid wages or earned commission. Volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count.)
  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week). You can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours.

We don’t count any hours you work above 30 hours/week.