+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part-time or full-time?

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Hello Guys,

I have a question regarding the part-time/full-time job and job permanency.

I am working as a general manager at a local digital marketing agency. I work 15-30 hours per week depending on projects on hand (A startup company, slowly growing with new projects). My job offer indicates it's a permanent job after passing the probationary time, but I am worrying that CIC may reject my applications because of my inconsistent working hours.

Do I need to require an explanatory letter from the director or are there any better ways to solve this problem?

I am under CEC, and I already had one year, full-time working experience from my previous job.

Also, what should I put for working hours in the working experience section for this job?

Any help would be much appreciated:)

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry FSW Outlander
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
Fate69 said:
Hello Guys,

I have a question regarding the part-time/full-time job and job permanency.

I am working as a general manager at a local digital marketing agency. I work 15-30 hours per week depending on projects on hand (A startup company, slowly growing with new projects). My job offer indicates it's a permanent job after passing the probationary time, but I am worrying that CIC may reject my applications because of my inconsistent working hours.
Working hours don't matter...Someday i may work for 50 hrs some day it may just be 32 and some days i may be on vacation. What matters is what your company puts in writing on your reference letter as the standard No. of working hours for the role you are in. If that is >30 Hrs./week it is considered as full-time by CIC, else part-time.

Do I need to require an explanatory letter from the director or are there any better ways to solve this problem?
Please get a reference letter as per CIC requirement from them

I am under CEC, and I already had one year, full-time working experience from my previous job.
This should be enough for you to qualify under CEC category, if you can arrange the reference letter from your past employer.
Also, what should I put for working hours in the working experience section for this job?
Based on what you mentioned earlier, you currently don't have a standard working hours because its a startup and growing, then how will you put a figure to that. Ask your organisation to put the No. of hours either per day/week/month or year for the role that you are in.
Any help would be much appreciated:)

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
Thank you very much! If it's considered a part-time job, does it cause more risks for CIC to reject my application?

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
Fate69 said:
Thank you very much! If it's considered a part-time job, does it cause more risks for CIC to reject my application?
Did not understand your question. :eek:

thenewbie

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leave it out if you don't get any CRS points from it.

After ITA, include it in your personal history. No documents required for Personal History.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Fate69 said:

Part-time is not a problem, esp. since you already have another year of full-time Canadian work experience to qualify. It is possible to have a permanent part-time job, but for CEC purposes, there is no requirement for permanent employment, and lots of people work variable hours.

No additional explanation is necessary, since the hours worked per week must be described in the Letter of Employment. What do you say? The truth, just like you did above.

You haven't said how long you have been in this position, but it would make it easier for the VO if you could attach a schedule of how many hours you worked each week.

Alternatively, you can average the hours worked per week, and you can say something like:

"Mr X is working as General Manager from STARTDATE to present. Currently, is working part-time, with hours ranging from 25-30 hours per week (depending on need), averaging 27 hours per week since starting."

You should understand that for part-time work, the full-time equivalent (FTE) is calculated to determine amount of work experience. So for example, if you worked for 25 weeks at 25 hours per week, it would not count as 25 weeks, but as 20 weeks FTE. (25 hours * 25 weeks / 30 hours per week FTE, for partial weeks, round down).

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
CanadaWeCome said:
Did not understand your question. :eek:

I am just worrying about this could be a reason of rejection. I have seen people were rejected without a permanent job.

Fate69

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
jes_ON said:
Part-time is not a problem, esp. since you already have another year of full-time Canadian work experience to qualify. It is possible to have a permanent part-time job, but for CEC purposes, there is no requirement for permanent employment, and lots of people work variable hours.

No additional explanation is necessary, since the hours worked per week must be described in the Letter of Employment. What do you say? The truth, just like you did above.

You haven't said how long you have been in this position, but it would make it easier for the VO if you could attach a schedule of how many hours you worked each week.

Alternatively, you can average the hours worked per week, and you can say something like:

"Mr X is working as General Manager from STARTDATE to present. Currently, is working part-time, with hours ranging from 25-30 hours per week (depending on need), averaging 27 hours per week since starting."

You should understand that for part-time work, the full-time equivalent (FTE) is calculated to determine amount of work experience. So for example, if you worked for 25 weeks at 25 hours per week, it would not count as 25 weeks, but as 20 weeks FTE. (25 hours * 25 weeks / 30 hours per week FTE, for partial weeks, round down).
Thank you a lot!!!

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
Fate69 said:
I am just worrying about this could be a reason of rejection. I have seen people were rejected without a permanent job.
Full/Part-time and permanent/temporary or seasonal/non-seasonal are to very different things.

A Job can be Part-time and permanent and Full-time but temporary or seasonal. Either way there is no favourite with CIC, both are a type for them, but only permanent job applicants are eligible under FSWP/CEC category.

Hope you understand...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
CanadaWeCome said:
A Job can be Part-time and permanent and Full-time but temporary or seasonal. Either way there is no favourite with CIC, both are a type for them, but only permanent job applicants are eligible under FSWP/CEC category.

Hope you understand...
I'm not sure what you mean. There is no requirement under either the FSW or CEC program to have a permanent job or job offer.

On the other hand, if you claim to have a "valid job offer," you must have an LMIA and a written offer of permanent, full-time, non-seasonal employment.

Having a 'valid job offer' is not the same thing has "having a job," and some applicants confuse the two. When they apply, they claim to have a valid job offer, and may even have an LMIA, but they don't submit the written offer of (future) permanent, full-time employment, and so they are refused.

CanadaWeCome

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
4031/4032
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
Awaiting
AOR Received.
15-12-2015
IELTS Request
27-06-2015
jes_ON said:
I'm not sure what you mean. There is no requirement under either the FSW or CEC program to have a permanent job or job offer.

On the other hand, if you claim to have a "valid job offer," you must have an LMIA and a written offer of permanent, full-time, non-seasonal employment.

Having a 'valid job offer' is not the same thing has "having a job," and some applicants confuse the two. When they apply, they claim to have a valid job offer, and may even have an LMIA, but they don't submit the written offer of (future) permanent, full-time employment, and so they are refused.
Agree, the word 'permanent and 'non-seasonal' are mandatory for LMIA valid 'job-offer' only.