+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part-time international university student graduated with bachelor's degree. What are the options for work permit?

mathstudent26

May 4, 2020
I know that PGWP is exclusively for students who maintained full-time status, but what are the options for a student who studied part-time for multiple semesters?

Thanks.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

mathstudent26

May 4, 2020
I appreciate the link and I am already aware that I do not qualify for PGWP as indicated by my original post.

I was asking about other options for someone in my position.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I know that PGWP is exclusively for students who maintained full-time status, but what are the options for a student who studied part-time for multiple semesters?

Thanks.
You would need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and also obtain an approved LMIA. Once the employer has an approved LMIA, you would then be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.

mathstudent26

May 4, 2020
You would need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and also obtain an approved LMIA. Once the employer has an approved LMIA, you would then be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer.
Thanks for the reply.
I am due to finish studies in August 2021 and my study permit expires at the end of September 2021. Will I have to find an employer and sort things out (LMIA, closed work permit) before the expiration of my study permit? Does that job have to be NOC 0, A or B and be relevant to my degree?
Also, given that I have a low GPA and took a very long time to complete my degree, is it realistic to expect things to work out for me?
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply.
I am due to finish studies in August 2021 and my study permit expires at the end of September 2021. Will I have to find an employer and sort things out (LMIA, closed work permit) before the expiration of my study permit? Does that job have to be NOC 0, A or B and be relevant to my degree?
Also, given that I have a low GPA and took a very long time to complete my degree, is it realistic to expect things to work out for me?
Thanks.
You don't have to do all of this before the expiration of your study permit. However you do have to keep your status in Canada valid. Make sure you apply to change your status to visitor before your study permit expires so that you can remain in Canada legally.

No - the job does not have to be NOC A, B or 0. Technically it doesn't have to be related to your education and any previous work experience. However if it's completely unrelated to what you've done or studied in the past, it's highly unlikely to be approved. In order for the LMIA to be approved, the employer must prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire for the role.

Generally speaking, it's extremely difficult to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process. You should definitely have a "Plan B".

mathstudent26

May 4, 2020
You don't have to do all of this before the expiration of your study permit. However you do have to keep your status in Canada valid. Make sure you apply to change your status to visitor before your study permit expires so that you can remain in Canada legally.

No - the job does not have to be NOC A, B or 0. Technically it doesn't have to be related to your education and any previous work experience. However if it's completely unrelated to what you've done or studied in the past, it's highly unlikely to be approved. In order for the LMIA to be approved, the employer must prove they advertised the job and were unable to find a Canadian to hire for the role.

Generally speaking, it's extremely difficult to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process. You should definitely have a "Plan B".
Thanks.
What sort of options for a "plan B" would there be for someone in my situation?
Also, if I were to transfer to another university and maintain full-time status there then graduate from that university instead, would I then be eligible for PGWP?
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks.
What sort of options for a "plan B" would there be for someone in my situation?
Also, if I were to transfer to another university and maintain full-time status there then graduate from that university instead, would I then be eligible for PGWP?
Thanks.
If you transferred to another school, started a brand new program and remained a full time student for the entire duration of that program, then yes - you would qualify for a PGWP. However you'd be looking at starting a new program from scratch.

mathstudent26

May 4, 2020
If you transferred to another school, started a brand new program and remained a full time student for the entire duration of that program, then yes - you would qualify for a PGWP. However you'd be looking at starting a new program from scratch.
Thanks again for the information. I'd be quite lost without this correspondence.
Just to be clear, I'm studying a double major in mathematics and statistics at Univerity of Toronto and I would be considering a transfer to Ryerson University, which offers a degree in "Mathematics and its Applications". This would be considered the same program, right? What if I only transferred credits that I attained while studying full-time? I assume that wouldn't change anything, but I just want to cover all my bases.
Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks again for the information. I'd be quite lost without this correspondence.
Just to be clear, I'm studying a double major in mathematics and statistics at Univerity of Toronto and I would be considering a transfer to Ryerson University, which offers a degree in "Mathematics and its Applications". This would be considered the same program, right? What if I only transferred credits that I attained while studying full-time? I assume that wouldn't change anything, but I just want to cover all my bases.
Thanks.
I don't think that would work but I don't know. I think you would have to start a new program from scratch. You'd be best off getting a consult with an immigration lawyer.

mathstudent26

May 4, 2020
I don't think that would work but I don't know. I think you would have to start a new program from scratch. You'd be best off getting a consult with an immigration lawyer.
Thank you. I contacted one immigration lawyer who advised me to complete my current degree by switching back to full-time then they (the lawyer) could "argue" my case and potentially still get a PGWP. What do you think of this? The lawyer was unsure as to whether transferring to another school to complete the degree would help.

Last edited: