+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

part time 20 hours per week acceptable ?

kartikbhatia

Jan 20, 2017
hello everyone

i have seen on cic website that for fulltime work exp you can claim only 30 hours if worked more than 30 hours those extra hours will not enhance your work exp years at all..max is 1560 hours per year.

now coming to part time, on cic website it says that 15 hours per week work then if 24 months worked it will be considered as 1 year full time work exp i.e 1560 hours.

now coming to my scenerio i worked as 20hours per week for 55 months that equals to 4.58 years (55/12)...so after converting to fulltime it will be 3.05 years (20hrs/30hrs x 55 months/12)

some ppl are saying parttime will only be counted 15 hrs not 20 hours ? kindly tell me how this is going to work ?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
What 'some people' are saying is wrong. You calculations are correct. If you worked continuously in this part-time job for 20 hours/week, this gives you 20/30 (=2/3) full-time week per part-time week. So, you can claim 20/30x55 months. It is more accurate to use weeks instead of months though. Good Luck!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello everyone

i have seen on cic website that for fulltime work exp you can claim only 30 hours if worked more than 30 hours those extra hours will not enhance your work exp years at all..max is 1560 hours per year.

now coming to part time, on cic website it says that 15 hours per week work then if 24 months worked it will be considered as 1 year full time work exp i.e 1560 hours.

now coming to my scenerio i worked as 20hours per week for 55 months that equals to 4.58 years (55/12)...so after converting to fulltime it will be 3.05 years (20hrs/30hrs x 55 months/12)

some ppl are saying parttime will only be counted 15 hrs not 20 hours ? kindly tell me how this is going to work ?
You should stop listening to those people, what noscaf stated above is correct.

Reactions: shariqkhan

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
hello everyone

SIGH. The requirement is one year of full-time work, defined as "30 or more hours per week." If you work full-time, you do not add hours. There is no need. The hourly equivalent (1560 hours) is given for part-time workers, who by definition will take longer than one year to acquire the equivalent of one year of full-time work.

That is simply an example of how to calculate the FTE of part-time work. Merely ONE example. You use the actual hours (keeping in mind that if you work 30 or more hours, it is simply "full-time").

Your logic is good but ... The definition is hours per week... your denominator should be weeks (52 weeks= 1 year). Just an example, if you have 230 weeks @ 20 hours per week = 4600 hours, 4600/30 = 153 FTE weeks, 2.9 years (will count as 2 years). You are close to 3 years, though, so you should count the weeks carefully.

some ppl are saying parttime will only be counted 15 hrs not 20 hours ?
That is not true.

Reactions: shariqkhan

nais

Dec 3, 2017
@jes_ON @DelPiero07 @noscaf2014
Apologies for asking help in someone else's thread. I have been in UK over 6 years as a student and during this period I worked in McDonald's. I was part time shift manager there for about 41 months. it is noc 6311 food service supervisors. The problem I am facing is my contract with McDonald's was 0 hour contract, however I could work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during vacations. I used to get 7 Pound sterling per hour for 1st two years then 7.50 and 8 pounds following two years respectively. Though it was 0 hour contract, I have worked all 41 months without any gap.

My store manager said he cannot write on experience letter that, I was employed for 20 hours per week but instead he would write "Maximum 20 hour per week during term time". and also he cannot mention yearly salary as it was not fixed (it depended on my worked hours), so he only can mention hourly rate at the time of leaving which was 8 pounds/hour.

Unfortunately I do not have any Appointment/Joining letter or promotion letter, In fact I do not have any sort of letter from them. I just have all payslips, P60 (yearly tax calculation) and P45 (tax letter after leaving) and no where my designation is written.

My work is genuine and I am pretty sure all my duties 100% matches with NOC 6311 food service supervisors. Please advice if it is ok to provide letter with above mentioned problem. Your valuable advice can change my fortune for Good.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apologies for asking help in someone else's thread. I have been in UK over 6 years as a student and during this period I worked in McDonald's. I was part time shift manager there for about 41 months. it is noc 6311 food service supervisors. The problem I am facing is my contract with McDonald's was 0 hour contract, however I could work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during vacations. I used to get 7 Pound sterling per hour for 1st two years then 7.50 and 8 pounds following two years respectively. Though it was 0 hour contract, I have worked all 41 months without any gap.

My store manager said he cannot write on experience letter that, I was employed for 20 hours per week but instead he would write "Maximum 20 hour per week during term time". and also he cannot mention yearly salary as it was not fixed (it depended on my worked hours), so he only can mention hourly rate at the time of leaving which was 8 pounds/hour.

Unfortunately I do not have any Appointment/Joining letter or promotion letter, In fact I do not have any sort of letter from them. I just have all payslips, P60 (yearly tax calculation) and P45 (tax letter after leaving) and no where my designation is written.

My work is genuine and I am pretty sure all my duties 100% matches with NOC 6311 food service supervisors. Please advice if it is ok to provide letter with above mentioned problem. Your valuable advice can change my fortune for Good.
The fact that only the hourly rate is mentioned is fine, as you have the payslips/tax info you can use those documents to prove that you were paid throughout your employment period.

However even if your employer states that you worked a "Maximum 20 hour per week during term time" do you have any documents that state the exact hours you worked per week? That is, is this information included in your payslips?

Reactions: nais

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Of course he cannot lie in the letter. He can state the start and end dates of employment, job title, job duties and responsibilities, that you worked continuously during that period but worked variable hours, and your hourly wage plus any benefits. (You did not have a salary, so of course he cannot say you did.). Simply state the actual conditions of employment.

The burden then will be on you to prove the hours you worked each week for nearly 4 years. Fortunately, you have some pretty good documentation, but still... you will have to add up all the hours worked per week (max 30 hours per week), and divide by 30 to get the number of full-time equivalent weeks.

Unfortunately I do not have any Appointment/Joining letter or promotion letter, not needed.
In fact I do not have any sort of letter from them. You WILL have to get one (the letter of experience)
I just have all payslips, P60 (yearly tax calculation) and P45 (tax letter after leaving) and no where my designation is written. Your designation should be in your letter of employment (AKA experience letter).

Reactions: nais

nais

Dec 3, 2017
The fact that only the hourly rate is mentioned is fine, as you have the payslips/tax info you can use those documents to prove that you were paid throughout your employment period.

However even if your employer states that you worked a "Maximum 20 hour per week during term time" do you have any documents that state the exact hours you worked per week? That is, is this information included in your payslips?
My Payslip includes number of hours I have worked two weeks period because I used to get payment fortnightly. But my P60 (yearly tax calculation) only got total earned amount in pound sterlings

Last edited:

nais

Dec 3, 2017
@jes_ON
As I said I could work more than 20 hours per week during the vacation, my total yearly hours would be much higher than 20 hours/week times 52 weeks calculation. I used to get payment fortnightly thus my payslip got total hours of two weeks. If I had worked 10 hours on a particular week and worked 30 hours on the following week my payslip would only show 40 hours on that period.

Now my concern is if I add all the hours for a particular year and divide that by 52 weeks my average weekly hour comes more than 20 hours a week. but my letter would say "Maximum 20 hours per week during term time".

In other words if I add all the hours (30 hours max) for a particular year and divide that by 30 to get number of weeks worked; wouldn't be an issue because my contract is part time? Or I should count 15 hours each week and add all hours and then divide by 30 to get equal amount of full time work?

Sorry for asking you so many questions just wanted to know the right way to present my work experience to IRCC.

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
@jes_ON
Now my concern is if I add all the hours for a particular year and divide that by 52 weeks my average weekly hour comes more than 20 hours a week. but my letter would say "Maximum 20 hours per week during term time".
This implies that, between terms, you can work more hours. IRCC staff are well aware of these rules, as they are similar for Canada. If you are concerned about this specific wording, you can always add a LOE explaining you worked a max of 20 hours while classes were in session, but worked full-time (or, more than 20 hours) during breaks.

In other words if I add all the hours (30 hours max) for a particular year and divide that by 30 to get number of weeks worked; wouldn't be an issue because my contract is part time?
No, your contract is between you and your employer, and I doubt it says that you can never work more than 20 hours.

Or I should count 15 hours each week and add all hours and then divide by 30 to get equal amount of full time work?
??? Why?

blaired

Feb 27, 2018
I have 9 months of full-time employment of 45 hours per week and 6 months of 15 hours per week.
Will I be eligible for FSW with my work experience based on the number of hours I have worked?
Thanks for your reply.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 9 months of full-time employment of 45 hours per week and 6 months of 15 hours per week.
Will I be eligible for FSW with my work experience based on the number of hours I have worked?
Thanks for your reply.
Assuming those are continuous and on the same NOC then yes.

blaired

Feb 27, 2018
Assuming those are continuous and on the same NOC then yes.
Thanks a lot DelPiero07 for your super fast reply.
There was a 2 months gap between them.
Also, I was a computer analyst in one and a programmer in the other.
How about this?
Thanks

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot DelPiero07 for your super fast reply.
There was a 2 months gap between them.
Also, I was a computer analyst in one and a programmer in the other.
How about this?
Thanks
You do not meet the continuity requirement to achieve the minimum of a year of full-time (or equivalent with part-time) skilled work experience.

Reactions: tobs

shariqkhan

Feb 26, 2018
What 'some people' are saying is wrong. You calculations are correct. If you worked continuously in this part-time job for 20 hours/week, this gives you 20/30 (=2/3) full-time week per part-time week. So, you can claim 20/30x55 months. It is more accurate to use weeks instead of months though. Good Luck!

Bro - i have been working since oct -2016 regularly - till now 20 hrs a week.
so thats like 77 weeks now -
am i eligible to apply for express entry -
plz reply bro - lots of people are saying no - bcs they say cic will count my exp as 15 per hour -

can u please help me -
thnkxx.