+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents visa refused

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How much should I show this time around? He has liquid assets. Secondly, where would I attach the cover letter and explanation letter? Lastly, is it safer if I just apply for my mom second time around and later apply for my dad?
There isn’t an exact amount. Applying for one parent does create ties if one spouse is remaining in the country but only apply separately if your mother is willing to travel on her own.

Feb 16, 2020
She is willing to travel on her own. However, we have to eventually apply for Dad anyway, so I think applying just for her will just delay the eventual document gathering phase. Thanks, I will show all his assets, get his CA to certify and get his last 3 years of tax returns. Hopefully that’s enough!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She is willing to travel on her own. However, we have to eventually apply for Dad anyway, so I think applying just for her will just delay the eventual document gathering phase. Thanks, I will show all his assets, get his CA to certify and get his last 3 years of tax returns. Hopefully that’s enough!
Good luck!

Raman0@

Feb 10, 2020
Hey all,

My wife and I are PRs here and want my parents to visit us for a few weeks. Full disclosure: she is pregnant but we did not mention that in the invitation letter. My parents visa got refused under 179(b). Purpose of visit and financial assets :(

Here are the documents I uploaded:
1. Passports, marriage certificate
2. PPF accounts totally 18000 CAD, all having some transactions.
3. GST certificate of his business, and proof showing land assets
4. Invitation letter showing a trip of 3 weeks in April, with a loose itinerary (not day by day)
5. My bank statements + invest statements totalling 100K CAD. My wife and I have a good income (meets eligiblity).

Looking at messages on this forum, I think I should have done this instead:

1. Shown his business account on top of his chequing/savings to show more transactions
2. Perhaps show his profit/loss account to show state of the business
3. Get a copy from CA to show his value of land assets & overall wealth

What I do not understand is

1. Cover letter -- this is different from invitation? Where should this go and what should this have?
2. Explanation letter -- what is this?

Is there any form where we will have to address that his visa was refused before? If yes, what should that say? Thanks a lot everyone here for sharing your experiences!
Refugel rate very high this time I don't no why?

Feb 16, 2020
Hey @canuck78 – another question. I wrote in my invitation letter that I am going to pay all expenses. Should I change that or keep that but mention in cover letter that my parents have enough to pay their own way but not doing it coz son is? Thanks!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey @canuck78 – another question. I wrote in my invitation letter that I am going to pay all expenses. Should I change that or keep that but mention in cover letter that my parents have enough to pay their own way but not doing it coz son is? Thanks!!
They should be paying for their travel. You can say you are providing them a place to stay.

Feb 16, 2020
I see, thanks. So a change in invitation letter will not raise eyebrows? Changing froM “I am paying for everything” to “they will cover airfare..”.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I see, thanks. So a change in invitation letter will not raise eyebrows? Changing froM “I am paying for everything” to “they will cover airfare..”.
You should probably continue to be consistent but in general visitors should be saying that they will pay for their own travel.

Feb 16, 2020
I see, I should have done that :/ Here is my list of documents I will upload this time, please tell me if I should add anything else!

Basic documents:

* Passports, voter IDs etc
* Forms
* Invitation letter from me -- 3 weeks, says that I will pay for everything.

Proof of financial support (me):

* My wife & I 3 months bank statement, RRSP/TFSA statements from past 3 months
* PR copies for both of us

Proof of financial support (parents)

* My Dad's 3 last tax returns
* 3 years of profit/loss statements for my Dad's business
* Cover letter from my Dad's point-of-view saying he will visit for 3 weeks, his itinerary and he needs to go back to run his shop. All his friends also live there, he has lived there since 1978 :/ Why would he leave that town to come here? Address how this application is different from his previous one (which got refused)
* Proof that my Dad has money
* His marriage certificate
* Statement from his CA about his land assets, and his net worth, and any other things CA people say

* Passports for both

Should I upload anything else? Thanks again!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I see, I should have done that :/ Here is my list of documents I will upload this time, please tell me if I should add anything else!

Basic documents:

* Passports, voter IDs etc
* Forms
* Invitation letter from me -- 3 weeks, says that I will pay for everything.

Proof of financial support (me):

* My wife & I 3 months bank statement, RRSP/TFSA statements from past 3 months
* PR copies for both of us

Proof of financial support (parents)

* My Dad's 3 last tax returns
* 3 years of profit/loss statements for my Dad's business
* Cover letter from my Dad's point-of-view saying he will visit for 3 weeks, his itinerary and he needs to go back to run his shop. All his friends also live there, he has lived there since 1978 :/ Why would he leave that town to come here? Address how this application is different from his previous one (which got refused)
* Proof that my Dad has money
* His marriage certificate
* Statement from his CA about his land assets, and his net worth, and any other things CA people say

* Passports for both

Should I upload anything else? Thanks again!
Financial records for his business aren’t necessary. A business registration would be better. If you want a current balance. The most important financial part of a TRV application is your parents personal savings especially liquid savings. Everything else is secondary including your finances. Like any tourist visiting Canada they need to show they can afford the visit. Unfortunately it isn’t unheard of that families/friends get into an argument and kick the visitors out. Canada wants to make sure all visitors will be able to pay for their expenses and flight home.

There are tons of parents who are in Canada for years on supervisas, TRVs or who have been sponsored for PR through PGP even if they have lived their who life in another village or city.

Feb 16, 2020
Thanks again @canuck78 for all your patience with replies! I really really appreciate it and if you live in YVR, I will buy you a beer!

I had already attached his GST certificate actually (with a government of India stamp!) but apparently it didn't suffice. I will make sure his liquid savings are emphasized. As I already wrote that I will cover all the expenses, how do I tell the VO they can afford the visit if they wanted to? I can change the invitation letter but I am afraid that will be a red flag and they will think I am lying (which is... kinda true LOL). Should I phrase it in the cover letter like

"VO, I, <Dad> can afford my own round trip airfare due to having liquid savings to the tune of 100K CAD but my son insists on paying it for us as a gesture. I will, however pay for all our meals when we go out to explore the city". Something like that?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks again @canuck78 for all your patience with replies! I really really appreciate it and if you live in YVR, I will buy you a beer!

I had already attached his GST certificate actually (with a government of India stamp!) but apparently it didn't suffice. I will make sure his liquid savings are emphasized. As I already wrote that I will cover all the expenses, how do I tell the VO they can afford the visit if they wanted to? I can change the invitation letter but I am afraid that will be a red flag and they will think I am lying (which is... kinda true LOL). Should I phrase it in the cover letter like

"VO, I, <Dad> can afford my own round trip airfare due to having liquid savings to the tune of 100K CAD but my son insists on paying it for us as a gesture. I will, however pay for all our meals when we go out to explore the city". Something like that?
Having enough money in their liquid personal account is enough to show they can afford the visit.

Feb 16, 2020
Thanks @canuck78. I talked to my parents and we are leaning towards just applying for my Mom as my Dad is busy with his business anyway. As my Mom is a housewife, I intend to have my Dad write a letter of financial support to show his income + assets as my Mom's as well. Is that okay?

Secondly, I am thinking of mentioning that my wife is pregnant. I will *mention* that we do not intend to call her for helping us with the baby as both of us are going on parental leave anyway. We just want her here for moral/emotional support and not to help us cook or clean or visit doctors (she can't drive here anyway).

Should I keep something else in mind? For my Mom's ties, of course she needs to go back to be with my Dad. That works, right?