+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents visa refused

Feb 16, 2020
Hey all,

My wife and I are PRs here and want my parents to visit us for a few weeks. Full disclosure: she is pregnant but we did not mention that in the invitation letter. My parents visa got refused under 179(b). Purpose of visit and financial assets :(

Here are the documents I uploaded:
1. Passports, marriage certificate
2. PPF accounts totally 18000 CAD, all having some transactions.
3. GST certificate of his business, and proof showing land assets
4. Invitation letter showing a trip of 3 weeks in April, with a loose itinerary (not day by day)
5. My bank statements + invest statements totalling 100K CAD. My wife and I have a good income (meets eligiblity).

Looking at messages on this forum, I think I should have done this instead:

1. Shown his business account on top of his chequing/savings to show more transactions
2. Perhaps show his profit/loss account to show state of the business
3. Get a copy from CA to show his value of land assets & overall wealth

What I do not understand is

1. Cover letter -- this is different from invitation? Where should this go and what should this have?
2. Explanation letter -- what is this?

Is there any form where we will have to address that his visa was refused before? If yes, what should that say? Thanks a lot everyone here for sharing your experiences!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey all,

My wife and I are PRs here and want my parents to visit us for a few weeks. Full disclosure: she is pregnant but we did not mention that in the invitation letter. My parents visa got refused under 179(b). Purpose of visit and financial assets :(

4. Invitation letter showing a trip of 3 weeks in April, with a loose itinerary (not day by day)
5. My bank statements + invest statements totalling 100K CAD. My wife and I have a good income (meets eligiblity).

1. Shown his business account on top of his chequing/savings to show more transactions

1. Cover letter -- this is different from invitation? Where should this go and what should this have?

Is there any form where we will have to address that his visa was refused before? If yes, what should that say? Thanks a lot everyone here for sharing your experiences!
How much liquid cash? Did you show property ownership like home? Do they have previous travel to countries with similar visa requirements to Canada? In the past 5 years? When did you move to Canada?

Indian_10

Jan 21, 2020
Hey all,

I sponsored my parents and mentioned about my pregnancy & delivery date and attached doctor’s letter and their visa got approved last week.
My Parents TRV timeline:
7 January: Paper Application Submitted and biometric done on the same day
1st Acknowledgement Letter: 8 Jan 2020
Repeat Biometric Letter: 15 Jan 2020
2nd Acknowledgement Letter: 21 Jan 2020
Biometrics Repeated : 22 Jan 2020
One more acknowledgement letter: 30 Jan 2020
Application Linked online: 6 Feb 2020
Biometrics Corresponding Letter : 7 Feb 2020 in online account
Decision made and application Approval Status Update in GCkey Account : 10 Feb 2020
Passport dispatch message : 10 Feb 2020
Passport received: 11 Feb 2020

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I sponsored my parents and mentioned about my pregnancy & delivery date and attached doctor’s letter and their visa got approved last week.
My Parents TRV timeline:
7 January: Paper Application Submitted and biometric done on the same day
1st Acknowledgement Letter: 8 Jan 2020
Repeat Biometric Letter: 15 Jan 2020
2nd Acknowledgement Letter: 21 Jan 2020
Biometrics Repeated : 22 Jan 2020
One more acknowledgement letter: 30 Jan 2020
Application Linked online: 6 Feb 2020
Biometrics Corresponding Letter : 7 Feb 2020 in online account
Decision made and application Approval Status Update in GCkey Account : 10 Feb 2020
Passport dispatch message : 10 Feb 2020
Passport received: 11 Feb 2020
Ok, so you mentioned the pregnancy, it's recommended that you don't , as some have and gotten their visa refused

Indian_10

Jan 21, 2020
Ok, so you mentioned the pregnancy, it's recommended that you don't , as some have and gotten their visa refused
Ok.. Yeah but my parents got visa because they are well established in India and they have enough property and funds to proof their ties to the home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey all,

When did you become PRs? How long have you been living in Canada?

Feb 16, 2020
How much liquid cash? Did you show property ownership like home? Do they have previous travel to countries with similar visa requirements to Canada? In the past 5 years? When did you move to Canada?
He doesn’t own a home unfortunately. They haven’t travelled anywhere last 10 years. I moved in Aug, ‘12. I showed mostly liquid cash (it’s savings account and some of it can’t be withdrawn until 2022).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He doesn’t own a home unfortunately. They haven’t travelled anywhere last 10 years. I moved in Aug, ‘12. I showed mostly liquid cash (it’s savings account and some of it can’t be withdrawn until 2022).
It’s not liquid if it’s locked in to a fixed deposit. How much is actual cash that can be used.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Became PR in 2017 (Apr). Applied for citizenship in Aug, 2019 and it’s in progress.
Ah - OK. So that's not it. Sometimes when you apply for your parents to visit you too soon after becoming a PR this can result in refusal.

Assume you immigrated through an economic immigration stream like EE or PNP.

Do your parents live in their home country?

Feb 16, 2020
Ah - OK. So that's not it. Sometimes when you apply for your parents to visit you too soon after becoming a PR this can result in refusal.

Assume you immigrated through an economic immigration stream like EE or PNP.

Do your parents live in their home country?
I did experience class, yes. They live in home country, yes.

Feb 16, 2020
Business account would not have helped dramatically. His personal account is the one that should be funding his travels.
How much should I show this time around? He has liquid assets. Secondly, where would I attach the cover letter and explanation letter? Lastly, is it safer if I just apply for my mom second time around and later apply for my dad?