+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents trv for daughter's pregnancy

PoojaShah

Jul 24, 2021
Hi,
My sister is expecting her baby in October 2021, my parents need to come to Canada to support her. My parents are in India and my sister is PR. I have been going thru everything on cic website and different forms and totally confused. I have few questions, if someone could reply with their experience and knowledge would be really appreciated.
  1. Do I need to apply for PHAC first or normal TRV....?
  2. Is pregnancy considered to be compassionate grounds under PHAC...?
  3. My parents have to get their biometrics done and right now it's not easy to get appointments in India do can they travel elsewhere for biometrics such as Dubai...?
  4. And if apply for normal TRV with proper explanation how long does it take to get the decision.?
Prompt reply will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pooja

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
My sister is expecting her baby in October 2021, my parents need to come to Canada to support her. My parents are in India and my sister is PR. I have been going thru everything on cic website and different forms and totally confused. I have few questions, if someone could reply with their experience and knowledge would be really appreciated.
  1. Do I need to apply for PHAC first or normal TRV....?
  2. Is pregnancy considered to be compassionate grounds under PHAC...?
  3. My parents have to get their biometrics done and right now it's not easy to get appointments in India do can they travel elsewhere for biometrics such as Dubai...?
  4. And if apply for normal TRV with proper explanation how long does it take to get the decision.?
Prompt reply will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pooja
1. People have been applying for PHAC but it doesn’t give much benefit. When people started appplying for normal pregnancy IRCC came up with a hybrid visa where you apply for PHAC but have to meet the requirements for a TRV. PHAC will likely be a short single entry visa so up to your parents. I think a TRV or supervisa makes much more sense given it is much more likely to be multi-entry, be longer and have less limitations. Some doctors will not fill out the PHAC application because normal pregnancy is not the intended purpose of PHAC. Although it is nice to have grandparents around it isn’t a life and death situation.
2. Yes but not like the true PHAC applications where it is usually very serious life and death situations or time sensitive situations like end of life or funerals.
3. Dubai and Nepal were the best options before the last covid wave. You’ll need to research travel restrictions and appointment availability.
4. Impossible to really say given the Indian offices have only recently started accepting courier appointments and there is a backlog due to closures.

If your parents are not vaccinated (and even if they are) they must quarantine away from your sister’s family. If your sister or you have a separate basement with a bathroom or an Airbnb is also a possibility. This is especially important because pregnant and postpartum women and infants are especially vulnerable to covid and also have regular contact with the healthcare system.