+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents sponsorship while refugee application active

eng_asa

Sep 2, 2016
My mom has been staying with me for a few years now. At first, she came on a super visa. I tried several times to apply for parents/grandparents sponsorship but was never lucky enough to receive an invite. After her visa had expired last year, she applied for refugee status (several reasons that prevent her from going back to home country). The refugee application was submitted by the end of 2020. A few months later, I received an invite for parents/grandparents sponsorship. This was the happiest moment for our family.

However, now that we are filling the sponsorship application, I am afraid that the other refugee application (still active) might result in problems with the sponsorship process. We cannot withdraw the refugee application, otherwise, she will be deported. Not sure what to do now! Can anyone give me any advice please? would you recommend going through an immigration lawyer (very $$$$)?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mom has been staying with me for a few years now. At first, she came on a super visa. I tried several times to apply for parents/grandparents sponsorship but was never lucky enough to receive an invite. After her visa had expired last year, she applied for refugee status (several reasons that prevent her from going back to home country). The refugee application was submitted by the end of 2020. A few months later, I received an invite for parents/grandparents sponsorship. This was the happiest moment for our family.

However, now that we are filling the sponsorship application, I am afraid that the other refugee application (still active) might result in problems with the sponsorship process. We cannot withdraw the refugee application, otherwise, she will be deported. Not sure what to do now! Can anyone give me any advice please? would you recommend going through an immigration lawyer (very $$$$)?
If you have filed a false Refugee claim you are wasting resources and need to withdraw the application. Would add that a negative claim can still affect her even if she eventually gets PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I would recommend that you get a consultation with an immigration lawyer.

I'm not aware of any rules that prevents someone from applying through both programs in parallel. At the same time, your mother is now out of status in Canada and I don't know if this could present challenges in processing her parent sponsorship application. Additionally, presumably IRCC has seized her passport. So not sure how the parent sponsorship application will be managed once a valid passport is requested. Your mother cannot renew her passport or get a new passport if she is currently under a refugee claim.

Again, I would get a consult with an immigration lawyer (not a consultant, you need a good immigration lawyer).

eng_asa

Sep 2, 2016
If you have filed a false Refugee claim you are wasting resources and need to withdraw the application. Would add that a negative claim can still affect her even if she eventually gets PR.
Thanks for the reply. Not false refugee claim. Just didn't want to list the reasons here.

eng_asa

Sep 2, 2016

I'm not aware of any rules that prevents someone from applying through both programs in parallel. At the same time, your mother is now out of status in Canada and I don't know if this could present challenges in processing her parent sponsorship application. Additionally, presumably IRCC has seized her passport. So not sure how the parent sponsorship application will be managed once a valid passport is requested. Your mother cannot renew her passport or get a new passport if she is currently under a refugee claim.

Again, I would get a consult with an immigration lawyer (not a consultant, you need a good immigration lawyer).
Thanks for the advice.

karansukh2

Jul 20, 2018

Hi there:

i am also in the similar situation, can you please share your experience, it will be a great help.

karansukh2

Jul 20, 2018

Hi Scylla
Do you know what happened in his case? I am also facing similar issue.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.