+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents sponsorship question

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Hi there,

My nephew sponsored his parents and siblings successfully and they will be in Canada shortly.
Now, his wife wants to sponsor her parents [it had to happen, right? :) ]
Her parents are permanent residence/Green card holder of USA. My nephew wife did not have any job for last 3 years (she was student). Question is: Can my nephew be a co-signer with her so she can sponsor her parents even though she didn't have any job for last 3 years but my nephew salary is well above average. Also, having his parents and sibling now sponsored, can he do the same for his in-laws? Is there a restriction that once you signed a sponsorship agreement you can't do the same for someone else e.g. in-laws?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

My nephew sponsored his parents and siblings successfully and they will be in Canada shortly.
Her parents are permanent residence/Green card holder of USA. My nephew wife did not have any job for last 3 years (she was student). Question is: Can my nephew be a co-signer with her so she can sponsor her parents even though she didn't have any job for last 3 years but my nephew salary is well above average. Also, having his parents and sibling now sponsored, can he do the same for his in-laws? Is there a restriction that once you signed a sponsorship agreement you can't do the same for someone else e.g. in-laws?

Thanks
Yes he can co-sign for her parents. They would need to get selected for PGP first. It is unclear when the program will run again and some changes have been made to the program that haven't not been announced yet. Both he and his wife will be financially responsible for more people and will need to qualify to sponsor her parents in addition to the others he has already sponsored

Reactions: starzibal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

Thanks
There's no restriction. They just have to make sure they meet the minimum income requirements for the total number of people involved. This will be a total of: the two of them, any children they have, everyone covered under your nephew's sponsorship (i.e. his parents and siblings), plus her parents and any dependent children.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Thanks cancuk78 and scylla for your quick reply.

But, if my nephew wife did not have a job in past 3 years then can my nephew as co-signer would be enough if he makes enough money. @scylla, it means the head count would be my nephew parents + siblings and his wife parents + nephew/wife/their children? it would lot of people. i think it is like that:
Nephew parents and siblings he just sponsored: 4
Nephew wife PR of USA: 2
Nephew and his wife: 2+2 kids = 4

Total: 10.
It means that if my nephew co-sign with his wife they would be responsible for 10 people. Did i get it right?

Just one thing bothering me that can my nephew co-sign even his wife did not work for last 3 years?

Thanks again guys!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks cancuk78 and scylla for your quick reply.

But, if my nephew wife did not have a job in past 3 years then can my nephew as co-signer would be enough if he makes enough money. @scylla, it means the head count would be my nephew parents + siblings and his wife parents + nephew/wife/their children? it would lot of people. i think it is like that:
Nephew parents and siblings he just sponsored: 4
Nephew wife PR of USA: 2
Nephew and his wife: 2+2 kids = 4

Total: 10.
It means that if my nephew co-sign with his wife they would be responsible for 10 people. Did i get it right?

Just one thing bothering me that can my nephew co-sign even his wife did not work for last 3 years?

Thanks again guys!
Yes - your nephew can co-sign for his wife's sposnorship application to meet the income requirements. It doesn't matter that his wife wasn't working as long as his income is enough to meet LICO.

Yes - based on the information you've provided, they would need to show they have income to cover 10 people to qualify to sponsor her parents. This is in the range of $115K to $120K over the last three years.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Just thought of a question. This expected salary range or any for that matter, would that be consider consisting for last 3 years? so every year $120k for example, i think so but just want to check with you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just thought of a question. This expected salary range or any for that matter, would that be consider consisting for last 3 years? so every year $120k for example, i think so but just want to check with you.
Sorry - I don't quite understand your question. The LICO amount goes up slightly each year to adjust for cost of living. Is that what you mean? The LICO amount fo this year hasn't been announced yet since the program hasn't reopened. You can see the amounts for past years here:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
what i meant was for example: if he is applying this year 2020 he would need to have $120k in 2019,2018 and 2017? but now i got it as you mentioned the table so every year it may be different amount. Make sense.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that they also need to make sure they have the budget to take on such a large number of people. That is a lot of people to support. There are many financial obligations that they will be expected to take on. For example if a parent gets too sick and needs LTC that is over 1K/month that they will need to pay out of pocket.

starzibal

Dec 30, 2009
Toronto
Would add that they also need to make sure they have the budget to take on such a large number of people. That is a lot of people to support. There are many financial obligations that they will be expected to take on. For example if a parent gets too sick and needs LTC that is over 1K/month that they will need to pay out of pocket.
both husband and wife have good earning now, my nephew is engineer and his wife is professor in university (although, she didnt have a job for last 3 years due to her Phd but she just got a professor position in university, she is working now) plus 2 of his sibling will go to college/part time job i believe and parents stay home.
Parents are in their 60s i think and healthy but you are right never know so they would have to get some kind of LTC insurance plan for them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
both husband and wife have good earning now, my nephew is engineer and his wife is professor in university (although, she didnt have a job for last 3 years due to her Phd but she just got a professor position in university, she is working now) plus 2 of his sibling will go to college/part time job i believe and parents stay home.
Parents are in their 60s i think and healthy but you are right never know so they would have to get some kind of LTC insurance plan for them.
There is no plan that would actually make sense for them to purchase. Normally Canadians transfer their pension income. They just need to save a lot more to pay for their parents although maybe their parents have their own savings. Many with no experience are under the false impression that there is complete healthcare coverage. Dental care alone for 4 seniors will be something you’ll need to plan for.