+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Sponsorship IMM 0008 and IMM 5406

oceanslands

Dec 7, 2015
Hi,

I'm trying to fill out the many forms to sponsor my parents to Canada, and have come across some confusion regarding IMM 0008 and IMM 5406.
My parents has two children, me and my sister (over 18), My mom will be the primary applicant.

IMM 0008: on the checklist, it said to be completed by the Primary Applicant, for the dependent(s), My dad will be the dependent for the application, does my sister needs to go on this form as well (she is not a dependent of my parents) and she is not coming along? Does my dad have to fill out his own copy as well?

IMM 5406: this form is really tricky, it said all family members need to complete their own copy of this form, my parents will complete each of their own copy, but what about myself (as a sponsor) and my sister who is not a dependent of my parents, do we need to complete our own copy as well? it's really confusing, on the checklist, it said all family members who are over 18 must complete their own copy, but on the IMM 5406 form it said all dependent children over 18 years of age must complete their own copy.

Could someone with experience please shed some lights on this? Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
No you don't have to fill out this is for the immigrant.

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
taffy7 said:
No you don't have to fill out this is for the immigrant.
you're sister will go on the additional Family information form that your mum will fill in and your dad .

oceanslands

Dec 7, 2015
I have been searching the forum, in this post canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t48139.0.html
the situation is quite similar to mine, the primary applicant's application got returned because they didnt complete a copy of imm 5406 for his daughter who is 21 year ago and married. so that's why it triggered me to think that an imm 5406 is needed for my sister (my mom's children). anyone with similar experience, please do share. thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
oceanslands said:
I have been searching the forum, in this post canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t48139.0.html
the situation is quite similar to mine, the primary applicant's application got returned because they didnt complete a copy of imm 5406 for his daughter who is 21 year ago and married. so that's why it triggered me to think that an imm 5406 is needed for my sister (my mom's children). anyone with similar experience, please do share. thanks
That post is 5 years old, when the definition of dependent child was under 22 years old.

If your sister is 18, she is a dependent and must be included in the app and fill out the required forms. If she is 19 or older, she is not a dependent and is not included in the app.

oceanslands

Dec 7, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
That post is 5 years old, when the definition of dependent child was under 22 years old.

If your sister is 18, she is a dependent and must be included in the app and fill out the required forms. If she is 19 or older, she is not a dependent and is not included in the app.
Thanks for pointing that out, she is definitely older than 19 and financially independent, she will be included on my parent's copy of the IMM 5406. but the checklist always mentions that all family member requires their own copy of the imm 5406, does she need one copy or only dependent children need a copy of their own?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
oceanslands said:
Thanks for pointing that out, she is definitely older than 19 and financially independent, she will be included on my parent's copy of the IMM 5406. but the checklist always mentions that all family member requires their own copy of the imm 5406, does she need one copy or only dependent children need a copy of their own?
From the guide:

Family members

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

For the purposes of this application, she is not a family member and has no involvement in the app.

oceanslands

Dec 7, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
From the guide:

Family members

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

For the purposes of this application, she is not a family member and has no involvement in the app.
Thanks again, that makes sense, I probably was confused about the definition. So I would assume that the IMM5669 Background check, my sister doesnt need her copy.

nitin verma was asking the marriage certificate issue, actually we have the same issue, I dont know if you could also provide some insights. it's a little complicated, back in the dates (before 1980), my parents got a marriage certificate, but they lost it, problem is they are no longer resident/citizen of that country, so it will be extremely difficult (if even possible) to get it re-issued. so what I am trying to do is get affidavits for both of them, photos, address proofs to convince that they are actually married and have been living together.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
oceanslands said:
nitin verma was asking the marriage certificate issue, actually we have the same issue, I dont know if you could also provide some insights. it's a little complicated, back in the dates (before 1980), my parents got a marriage certificate, but they lost it, problem is they are no longer resident/citizen of that country, so it will be extremely difficult (if even possible) to get it re-issued. so what I am trying to do is get affidavits for both of them, photos, address proofs to convince that they are actually married and have been living together.
An affidavit and letter of explanation should suffice in place of the marriage certificate.

oceanslands

Dec 7, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
An affidavit and letter of explanation should suffice in place of the marriage certificate.
Can I just give CIC the photocopy of the affidavit or they for sure need the original? 'coz I would like to keep the original for future.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
oceanslands said:
Can I just give CIC the photocopy of the affidavit or they for sure need the original? 'coz I would like to keep the original for future.
Just as a copy of a birth certificate is NOT a birth certificate, a copy of an affidavit is NOT an affidavit. You must send the original. If you want one for future, have a second done at the same time.

oceanslands

Dec 7, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
Just as a copy of a birth certificate is NOT a birth certificate, a copy of an affidavit is NOT an affidavit. You must send the original. If you want one for future, have a second done at the same time.
Thanks again, can I go to any Commissioners for Oaths to get an affidavits (im in Alberta)? Or cic would be strict about it?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
oceanslands said:
Thanks again, can I go to any Commissioners for Oaths to get an affidavits (im in Alberta)? Or cic would be strict about it?
You can go to any one.