+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Sponsorship and Alberta Senior Dental and Optical assstance

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I sponsored my parents in 2015 and they just permanently moved to Alberta a couple of months ago. Now they received a booklet about Senior Financial Assistance / Dental and Optical Assistance which can cover some expenses for dental and optical work. Does anyone know if they can qualify for it given I have sponsored them or not?

Thanks in advance for any help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I sponsored my parents in 2015 and they just permanently moved to Alberta a couple of months ago. Now they received a booklet about Senior Financial Assistance / Dental and Optical Assistance which can cover some expenses for dental and optical work. Does anyone know if they can qualify for it given I have sponsored them or not?

If it is welfare, they can't receive it. You need to contact the welfare authority and find out.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

It is not welfare and depends on their taxable income and age...read this link for details: https://www.alberta.ca/seniors-health-benefits.aspx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is not welfare and depends on their taxable income and age...read this link for details: https://www.alberta.ca/seniors-health-benefits.aspx
It is a program offered to help some low income seniors access care they may not be able to afford. Given that the children are responsible for them financially and they never worked in Canada they shouldn’t qualify for 20 years. The form likely doesn’t specify this case because it is a small percentage of seniors but if Alberta becomes aware that they have been sponsored the answer is likely no for 20 years. Would contact the program and explain that you have been sponsored by your children and include a link to the program. Most Canadian aren’t aware that the program exists,

abdrasz

Sep 10, 2016
I've run into the same dilemma... So folks did you come up with a comprehensive conclusion whether parents can apply during the sponsorship period?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I've run into the same dilemma... So folks did you come up with a comprehensive conclusion whether parents can apply during the sponsorship period?
It will be dependent on the province. They would definitely need 1 tax return. If they show zero income not even CPP, OAS or GIS they may be requested to show how they are actually paying to live in Canada.

When sponsoring parents people should be saving to pay for these expenses.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
They will be covered...they are financially dependent on you and will not have enough income to disqualify.

ckb77

May 27, 2010
Hello, I had the same query. Did any other poster (bdidol or abdrasz) apply and were approved for dental/optical assistance?
Many thanks.