+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent's Signature on the application

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Dear Friends,

For my minor child's application, I have a question regarding the parent's signature. My wife is not eligible to apply for the citizenship yet, therefore, for Question 4(a): "The person applying for the child is the"; I am selecting parent option, and printing my name there.

For Question 14, where the parent should sign the application, just wondering whether both the parents need to sign or only the parent who is applying for the kid should sign? Please advise.

Thanks.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
As I could understand both parents need to sign on the application, I am not sure at 4a also you can include both names. Since it says

for Qn 14
The parent or legal guardian(s) must sign the application, using the same signature they currently use on other official documents. Enter the place (city, town or village) and date beside the signature.

Sign and date the application on the same day.

For Question 4

Check the box to indicate if you are the parent or guardian of the child.

You must provide a document which proves the relationship between the parent and the child.
  • If you are the Biological parent(s)
    then you must submit
    • the child’s birth certificate showing the names of the child and his or her parents
So I assume that both parents should put their names and sign as they sign passports or other documents. It doesnt matter of your spouse is eligible for citizenship or not. If shes eligible she has to prepare another application

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
As I could understand both parents need to sign on the application, I am not sure at 4a also you can include both names. Since it says

for Qn 14
The parent or legal guardian(s) must sign the application, using the same signature they currently use on other official documents. Enter the place (city, town or village) and date beside the signature.

Sign and date the application on the same day.

For Question 4

Check the box to indicate if you are the parent or guardian of the child.

You must provide a document which proves the relationship between the parent and the child.
  • If you are the Biological parent(s)
    then you must submit
    • the child’s birth certificate showing the names of the child and his or her parents
So I assume that both parents should put their names and sign as they sign passports or other documents. It doesnt matter of your spouse is eligible for citizenship or not. If shes eligible she has to prepare another application
For the Section 14 Signature on the minor form, Do the dad and mother need to PRINT and Sign, or just both of them sign only, no PRINT of names aside their signatures? The signature box reads as: signature, not mention PRINT at all. Pls advise.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
My home address is as same as my mailing address. Do I need to leave the mailing address BLANK or fill out it with "Not Applicable"? thanks.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
Its sign only as you people will be printing in 4a .For other qn I understand where there is ambiguity only then use n/a like there is no yes or no to the question then

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
For minor application, it is NOT required to submit the physical residence calculation (on-line) as required for adult application??

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
For minor application, it is NOT required to submit the physical residence calculation (on-line) as required for adult application??
For minors, no need to submit physical residence calculator. However, you need to give the details in Question 9B of the form if the child is away for a total of 6 months or longer.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
Spoke with call center agent regarding question posted by op. It seems only parent who is applying for minor should write their name on 4a and sign on 14 no otherrs are required to add their name or sign

catharines

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Spoke with call center agent regarding question posted by op. It seems only parent who is applying for minor should write their name on 4a and sign on 14 no otherrs are required to add their name or sign
I was the only person who signed for my son