+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents PR renewal - Taxes not filed

thenike

Jul 27, 2012
Hi,

My parents PR renewal is coming up and they have not filed Canadian Taxes. They do not have any income here. Will their PR renewal be impacted if they don't file taxes? It seems like these are 2 different things but they likely just have to fulfil residency requirements but I am getting confused

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,

My parents PR renewal is coming up and they have not filed Canadian Taxes. They do not have any income here. Will their PR renewal be impacted if they don't file taxes? It seems like these are 2 different things but they likely just have to fulfil residency requirements but I am getting confused
They are two different things. But they really need to get it sorted out to avoid unpleasant surprises. If they are residents or tax residents, it does not matter whether they have income 'here' - taxes are paid on worldwide income. Get them to a tax preparer immediately.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

What they don’t want to get is a demand to file their tax return

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are two different things. But they really need to get it sorted out to avoid unpleasant surprises. If they are residents or tax residents, it does not matter whether they have income 'here' - taxes are paid on worldwide income. Get them to a tax preparer immediately.
But since the only requirement for a PR card renewal is evidence of residing in Canada for 730 days +, why would their tax issue prevent the renewal from being approved? Yes, they would have other issues, but why would it impact their card renewal?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But since the only requirement for a PR card renewal is evidence of residing in Canada for 730 days +, why would their tax issue prevent the renewal from being approved? Yes, they would have other issues, but why would it impact their card renewal?
I did not say it would prevent it, nor impact it. I said they are different things, which was meant to convey not an issue for PR card renewal, but very much potentially an issue distinct from the PR card renewal.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No worries, I could have made that more explicit.
I suppose it's a proverbial Catch 22 for them:

If they do not tick the consent box, it will likely lead to a delay in their PR renewal.

If they do tick the consent box, it could open up a Pandora's Box.