+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents of a permanent resident visiting Canada - (COVID)

MontrealBR

May 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

Despite the strict travelling measures announced by our PM, it seems like immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident are eligible to enter Canada either with a tourist visa or an ETA.

However, I saw a comment on the Citizenship Facebook group that a parent of a Permanent resident was denied to entry Canada. In this particular case, the parents were attempting to enter Canada from USA-Canada by car. My parents would come by air.

I was wondering if any of you with either a PR or Citizen status, had a NON Canadian/ NON Permanent resident parents entering Canada post COVID? If so, could you please tell me if they came by air/land and if they had any issue with the immigration agent?

Please see CBSA information below for your reference: (It states that immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or PR are eligible to enter Canada)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html?utm_source=SMAC&fbclid=IwAR0rDRfEPQARQUhe3hgvbn7wBOC0QZ9-1wi0wsxVVQU8cABNVeggiaREnc8#citizen-pr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They can always be denied entry like any traveller pre-covid. Your parents should be able to visit given the current rules.

cayj8

Jun 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

Despite the strict travelling measures announced by our PM, it seems like immediate family member of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident are eligible to enter Canada either with a tourist visa or an ETA.

However, I saw a comment on the Citizenship Facebook group that a parent of a Permanent resident was denied to entry Canada. In this particular case, the parents were attempting to enter Canada from USA-Canada by car. My parents would come by air.

I was wondering if any of you with either a PR or Citizen status, had a NON Canadian/ NON Permanent resident parents entering Canada post COVID? If so, could you please tell me if they came by air/land and if they had any issue with the immigration agent?

Please see CBSA information below for your reference: (It states that immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or PR are eligible to enter Canada)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html?utm_source=SMAC&fbclid=IwAR0rDRfEPQARQUhe3hgvbn7wBOC0QZ9-1wi0wsxVVQU8cABNVeggiaREnc8#citizen-pr
I appreciate your question! I am in the same situation. My parent would arrive by air too, and I actually will be traveling with them in the same trip from overseas back to Canada. Just want to make sure they can enter.

Anybody who recently had their non-citizen/PR immediate family members arrived smoothly? Thanks for any sharing!!

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
The good thing about flying is that the airline will verify with CBSA whether you can travel before you get on the airplane.

So the chances of you arriving in Canada and getting refused at immigration is very minimal.

Reactions: cayj8