+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents medicines in canada

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
My parents are planning to visit me in canada on visitor/super visa next year. My father is mildly diabetic and has high blood pressure. He daily takes medicines for diabetes and high blood pressure. While he can bring 3 months of medicine supplies while coming but if he has to stay for more than that, how can we buy these medicines in canada? Would it mean he will need to get all the tests done in canada and then get prescription from the doctors to buy these medicines in canada, and ensure all this is covered under insurance?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My parents are planning to visit me in canada on visitor/super visa next year. My father is mildly diabetic and has high blood pressure. He daily takes medicines for diabetes and high blood pressure. While he can bring 3 months of medicine supplies while coming but if he has to stay for more than that, how can we buy these medicines in canada? Would it mean he will need to get all the tests done in canada and then get prescription from the doctors to buy these medicines in canada, and ensure all this is covered under insurance?
They won't be covered under insurance only emergency medical costs are. He will need to pay to see a GP and get them to write a prescription for his medications.

NiSn

Mar 17, 2018
They won't be covered under insurance only emergency medical costs are. He will need to pay to see a GP and get them to write a prescription for his medications.
But private travel insurance does cover prescription drugs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But private travel insurance does cover prescription drugs?
No only for emergencies. Routine medical care including prescriptions are not covered. Would also look at the fine print of your policies because treatment of some preexisting conditions also won't be covered even in an emergency.