+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program (PGP) 2023

Nvnsuri

Star Member
Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
I am assuming you had included both parents on the Interest to Sponsor form. So when you get invited you can let IRCC know that only 1 parent will require to be sponsored. It says on the letter of invite - "If your information (other than your email address) has changed since you submitted the Interest to Sponsor form, complete your application with your updated information and include a letter of explanation and proof of the change(s)."
I did not included him on file due to less income. But below link had a clear instructions. Thank you

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1395&top=14

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I did not included him on file due to less income. But below link had a clear instructions. Thank you

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1395&top=14
When did you get invitation and did one parent only get PR>

If both parents are alive, they must both be included and LICO is that total. You cannot just pick a parent because you don’t have the income. Both must pass the medical too. You cannot sponsor just one parent. One parent doesn’t need to move to Canada. That is very clear in the requirements.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When did you get invitation and did one parent only get PR>

If both parents are alive, they must both be included and LICO is that total. You cannot just pick a parent because you don’t have the income. Both must pass the medical too. You cannot sponsor just one parent. One parent doesn’t need to move to Canada. That is very clear in the requirements.
Do you have a source for that. I have a friend who got the invite and the father is a political prisoner so he does not even have a passport, so my friend cannot just apply for the mother?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Do you have a source for that. I have a friend who got the invite and the father is a political prisoner so he does not even have a passport, so my friend cannot just apply for the mother?
Both parents must be included in LICO but only one has to come to Canada. Father, being a political prisoner, will complicate the process as IRCC will need to verify the information. Friend may want to get immigration lawyer to assist. It is a common question asked every year if you can not sponsor one parent because you don’t meet LICO.

Read link and example 5, even if parents are married and no longer together (not yet divorced), both must be included in LICO.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1460&top=14

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sorry for your friend's situation.

The father must be included in the application as a non-accompanying dependent (with the mother being the primary applicant). This is mandatory for his mother to be approved. Your friend must have sufficient LICO to cover both parents even if your father is non-accompanying. Additionally, and likely more complicated for your friend, the father must take and pass a medical and also provide police certificates and pass the security and background check in order for the mother's PR visa to be approved.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Both parents must be included in LICO but only one has to come to Canada. Father, being a political prisoner, will complicate the process as IRCC will need to verify the information. Friend may want to get immigration lawyer to assist. It is a common question asked every year if you can not sponsor one parent because you don’t meet LICO.

Read link and example 5, even if parents are married and no longer together (not yet divorced), both must be included in LICO.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1460&top=14
Thanks for sharing . My friend met the LICO but I guess the issue is the father does not have a passport and cannot obtain a passport and I bet one of the main documents is having a passport …. I cannot see any example in such situations.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for sharing . My friend met the LICO but I guess the issue is the father does not have a passport and cannot obtain a passport and I bet one of the main documents is having a passport …. I cannot see any example in such situations.
Yes, the issue is that both parents must pass the medical and have passports. Application will be refused if all requirements are not met. Given he is a political prisoner, friend may want to consult an immigration lawyer.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, the issue is that both parents must pass the medical and have passports. Application will be refused if all requirements are not met. Given he is a political prisoner, friend may want to consult an immigration lawyer.
Thanks. I got it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It may be possible to get the mother's PR visa approved without the father's passport. However it is mandatory for the father to be included as an accompanying dependent. It is also mandatory the father take and pass the medical, as well as provide PCCs and pass the background and security checks. Your friend can certainly try and see what happens. Just make sure he includes the father as a non-accompanying dependent vs. leaving him out of the application completely (which may be regarded as misrepresentation).

Reactions: shaazdeh

ashiashi

Mar 12, 2021
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Hi All, I need some guidance regarding birth certificate. My birth certificate (sponsor) is needed and it’s in Hindi. Moreover it only has my first name and my father’s full name but my mother’s name is missing. What all documents would be required on my particular case of missing first name, missing mother’s name and document in a language other than English or French

On CIC website it’s very confusing - notarized docs, certified true copy, certified translation, affidavit etc. not sure what all will be applicable in my case and if any additional documents would be required since missing items.
Please help!