+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program (PGP) 2023

Nedi27

Oct 19, 2023
Number of applicants + Number of Sponsors
okay for us I'm the sponsor my wife is not we have 2 kids and sponsoring our parents is it 6 or 5?
is the answer should be total household members when they arrive? Cause I've tried linking twice already and I failed by just putting 2 cause I thought its just the number of parents.

Blessed_ritu

Mar 6, 2024
okay for us I'm the sponsor my wife is not we have 2 kids and sponsoring our parents is it 6 or 5?
is the answer should be total household members when they arrive? Cause I've tried linking twice already and I failed by just putting 2 cause I thought its just the number of parents.
I have failed like 5 times . GCkey is in my name and I am trying to link my parents application. In the applicant name I add my father name and his date of birth .
Am I doing something wrong ?

Nedi27

Oct 19, 2023
I have failed like 5 times . GCkey is in my name and I am trying to link my parents application. In the applicant name I add my father name and his date of birth .
Am I doing something wrong ?
I think the GCkey should be under the applicants name cause your linking their application.

KGoel

May 15, 2018
All / @YVR123, can anyone guide on how to fill names in the IMM 5406 pdf form, when there is no Last name in passport?

When I filled online it guided me to fill the given name in last name, and leave given name blank. But in the pdf IMM5406 form, it seems both are mandatory to fill, otherwise it gives error when you click Validate !

Thanks !

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
All / @YVR123, can anyone guide on how to fill names in the IMM 5406 pdf form, when there is no Last name in passport?

When I filled online it guided me to fill the given name in last name, and leave given name blank. But in the pdf IMM5406 form, it seems both are mandatory to fill, otherwise it gives error when you click Validate !

Thanks !
This is the portion I found in the PGP guide:
Guide 5772 – Application to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents - Canada.ca
Enter names into forms exactly as they appear on the person’s passport. If there are any differences in how a name is displayed on other identification, provide documents to support the difference (for example, a legal proof of name change, if you changed your name) or a letter of explanation (if it’s a discrepancy between legal documents, such as a different name on your birth certificate). Upload your explanation to the online application under the section “Additional supporting documents” and select the document name “Letter of explanation.”

• If you don’t know a family member’s complete date of birth, use “01” in place of the day, month or year you don’t know. Include a letter of explanation saying why you couldn’t include the complete date.
  • If you don’t have a family name on your passport or travel document, enter all given names in the family name field and leave the given name blank.
  • If you don’t have a given name on your passport or travel document, leave the given name field blank.
  • If the name on your status in Canada document (citizenship certificate, permanent resident card, etc.) is different than on your other supporting documents (for example, your birth certificate), you should attach a proof of name change and a letter of explanation.
I don't know if the instruction will work on "online forms". Others who have the same case may know exactly how to fill them.

bhisham108

Feb 29, 2024
Sorry , I am confused .
So if I we are 2 sponsors ( I and my spouse) and 2 kids and I am sponsoring my parents (2). Would the answer be 4 or 6 ?
If you are 2 sponsors and you are sponsoring your parents (2) then for GcKey linkage purposes, number of members should be 4. Please note that GCKey linkage should be done by the principal applicant, not the sponsors

bhisham108

Feb 29, 2024
If you are 2 sponsors and you are sponsoring your parents (2) then for GcKey linkage purposes, number of members should be 4. Please note that GCKey linkage should be done by the principal applicant, not the sponsors

Nithyasuba

Jun 6, 2019
If you have 1 kid the total number is 5 or 4 ?
sponsor -2 , 1 kid, applicant(parents)-2
even im confused tried 5 times. Nothing working, left as it is. Once I receive Aor will do later

Last edited:

Nedi27

Oct 19, 2023
Thanks! I got it now Number of Applicants + Number of Sponsors. So for us its just 3. Thanks again I don't know why I keep on saying household number but yeah its 3 cause I don't have a co-signer.

Blessed_ritu

Mar 6, 2024
My parents are not very tech savvy. So I end up doing things for them. I can create the separate GC Key account for my dad and see if its works. Although GCkey account does not really ask for personal details so does it really matter ?

Blessed_ritu

Mar 6, 2024
Thanks! I got it now Number of Applicants + Number of Sponsors. So for us its just 3. Thanks again I don't know why I keep on saying household number but yeah its 3 cause I don't have a co-signer.
Let me know if you are able to successfully link the application.