+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

dmoney

Nov 14, 2022
Hi All,

My in-laws' PR application was finally approved today with IRCC dispatching their passports with one-time visa (I know it was approved because GCKey account says so with details of their one-time visa which is valid for 1 year from the date IRCC received their medical results). You can find the detailed timeline in my signature, but I wanted to shed some light on another topic, which seems to be of common confusion/concern on this forum.

My in-laws received passport submission request on Oct 23, 2023. At that time, they were in Canada but were planning to leave for US in a week's time. For family reasons, they could only extend their trip for a month as they needed to be in the US by US thanksgiving (i.e. around Nov 20). We decided to take a chance and go for virtual landing. We sent a note to IRCC, requesting virtual landing for them on the same day. However, IRCC never got back to us asking for follow-up information. Around Nov 10th, we realized that we wouldn't have enough time to *initiate* virtual landing process, so we decided that the in-laws would go to US asap, and send their passports to VFS for stamping. We sent the passports to VFS around Nov 12/13 and after some missing documentation which we separately provided, they were forwarded to IRCC on Nov 22 for further processing (last day of their 30 day window - phew!!). After a silence of about two weeks, we received a notification that IRCC has sent the decision envelope back to VFS. Their GCKey account show application was approved and shows details of one-time visa as well.

Hope this helps someone who's in similar situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessiezhai
Dec 7, 2023
we can see only cpc-missisauga is processing the applications , something fishy : long live NDP and Liberals combination. going well .
Yea, mine is the same situation with Vancouver office , last I heard was in Feb for Biometrics and NOTHING after that. Can see only applications from Mississauga office being processed very regularly and quickly.

Its even more frustrating considering that I live very close to Mississauga, so I cant understand why they decided to send our file to Vancouver office :( . Although I do understand that they have provided the general 24 months timeline, but how come there is so much discrepancy between Vancouver and Mississauga office ? and on what basis do they even decide the office ( cause its clearly NOT based on where we live) ??

imacuser

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
Question for pros. I see a lot of posts talking about which office is the application assigned to. Seems like some offices are very fast to process application. And some offices are very slow to process application,
My question is how is this application assigned to an office? Is it based on sponsors address? If so does it mean IRCC needs to be informed when sponsor changes addresses?

riizi

Nov 12, 2011
Yea, mine is the same situation with Vancouver office , last I heard was in Feb for Biometrics and NOTHING after that. Can see only applications from Mississauga office being processed very regularly and quickly.

Its even more frustrating considering that I live very close to Mississauga, so I cant understand why they decided to send our file to Vancouver office :( . Although I do understand that they have provided the general 24 months timeline, but how come there is so much discrepancy between Vancouver and Mississauga office ? and on what basis do they even decide the office ( cause its clearly NOT based on where we live) ??

If we monitor closely only Indian and afghan applicants are being processed at Mississauga office at fastest pace , rest of south Asian and all other applicants are thrown to these dead sleepy offices like Vancouver , Montreal, and London . so NDP is doing good job in collaboration with liberals . Its unfortunate but its true. no offense to anyone but I am monitoring it with 2020, 2021 and 2022 applicants.

Reactions: Adeelsyed
Dec 7, 2023
If we monitor closely only Indian and afghan applicants are being processed at Mississauga office at fastest pace , rest of south Asian and all other applicants are thrown to these dead sleepy offices like Vancouver , Montreal, and London . so NDP is doing good job in collaboration with liberals . Its unfortunate but its true. no offense to anyone but I am monitoring it with 2020, 2021 and 2022 applicants.
I dont think thats the case though, cause my parents are also from India. But yes, Vancouver office is not just slow, its extremely slow and has a major difference in processing speed, specially compared to Mississauga office , based on multiple people's experiences and the freely available trackers, where people post their updates. I understand there are multiple files and that they are probably working hard, but atleast give us some updates !!!

Vinit Mistry

Jul 20, 2017
Hi
My parents have received pre arrival letter on October 13,2023.
No updates after that
Does anyone experiencing the same ?
How long does it take after pre arrival?

Adeelsyed

Star Member
Aug 31, 2021
Thanks for your response. I'll try that then. Hope compressing the pdf goes under 4mb.
So Dad's passport(all pages) under 4mb should be uploaded and then upload a separate pdf file of my Mom's passport (under 4mb), correct? Both don't need to be combined into 1 pdf?

Also, in the guide 5772, it says to upload the Passports for each person being sponsored under “Additional supporting documents” in your online application. However, there is an upload section called "Travel documents/Passports" in the PR Portal under Supporting Documents. I was thinking to upload parents' passport in "Travel documents/Passports" and Sponsor's Canadian Passport in "Proof of Status" (both under Supporting Documents and not Additional supporting documents).
Its so confusing- did you scan all blank pages of your parent's passport?? Plus I am not sure why the guide says to upload all pages in Additional supporting documents while there is already a place to upload a passport under Travel documents/ Passport.

prospective102

Feb 12, 2023
Its so confusing- did you scan all blank pages of your parent's passport?? Plus I am not sure why the guide says to upload all pages in Additional supporting documents while there is already a place to upload a passport under Travel documents/ Passport.
Yes, we scanned all blank pages as well and saved them as JPG, then combined, converted to PDF and compressed the PDF file. It went to 3.5mb for each Passport.
We compressed the PDF file using a website and then used another website to compress it further. Make sure the quality should be good enough to be readable. don't compress it too much as the quality will get worse.

We uploaded parents and sponsors passport under Support Documents (Travel documents/Passports).

Sowriyab

Apr 14, 2023
Not true. My mother is from India as well and her application has been forwarded to Ottawa. No communication from Ottawa office. We are also waiting just like you.

tejas279

Sep 12, 2017
Hi
My parents have received pre arrival letter on October 13,2023.
No updates after that
Does anyone experiencing the same ?
How long does it take after pre arrival?
Yes, same here. I got Status update - 17th october - Final decision is in progress
18th October - Received Pre arrival letter

NOTHING after that so far...