+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

yyc1865

Feb 17, 2018
hello everyone,

I received invitation letter. When I applied as interest form in 2020 and my both parents have only first name,no last name so that I filled form first name in last name session. Last year my parents passport expired and apply for new passport. They add last name on new passport. How can I explain in application. Give me some clarification.

TIA

Jamal2022

Oct 13, 2022
Thank you for your response ... i tried doing that but its the same. however when I reopen the file it gives me below error

Co-signer contact information
the format you entered in the following field was incorrect
1. Telephone No. (Country Code)
The correct format is
Must be numeric and must not start with '11'

We are not even allowed to change that field
I get the same error when opening form imm1344e and it doesn't have "11". It's weird

jas_to_canada

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
If we get a marriage affidavit for parents, Is letter of explanation still required?
Any affidavits need to be certified by a Notary Public, a letter of explanation does not hurt. It will give you added bonus in case the VO tries to look for information.

Who can certify copies?
Only authorized people can certify copies.

Important information: Certifying of copies must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by an applicant’s parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.
People authorized to certify copies include the following:
In Canada:
  • a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits
Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Check with your local provincial or territorial authorities to learn who has the authority to certify.
Outside Canada:
  • a notary public
Authority to certify international documents varies by country. Check with your local authorities to learn who has the authority to certify in your country.

Seen12

Star Member
Feb 16, 2017
Hello,

I am completing my mother's sponsorship application and am a little confused about how to fill her marital status in the application.

I am only planning to sponsor her and not my dad. Her ID document state that she is married however, she has been separated from my dad since 1995 with no ties whatsoever. So far I have her as "Separated" in all the applications. However, the Schedule A Declaration only has a "Legally Separated" option and I don't feel this is right. Should I have them all as separated and Schedule A as married, and attach a letter to explain the situation?

Finally, in the IMM 0008 I put that she doesn't have any dependents. Is that right, since my dad is separated from her and they have to ties together?

Any suggestions or feedback will be highly appreciated.

mikegrandier

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
1. Assuming you need the birth certificate to show the relationship to the principal applicant, you can use your passport back page or OCI(similar document) back page (if you have any), or another document with a letter of explanation.
2. Similar thing for a Marriage certificate, your parent's passport's last page should have each other names as spouses and attach a letter of explanation.

See the bolded/underlined bullet points as follows:

Birth certificates
  • Make sure you submit a copy of your birth certificate, and (if you have included dependants in your application) the birth certificates of your family members.
  • If you don’t have access to a birth certificate for someone you’re sponsoring, or the one you have doesn’t clearly show your relationship (for example, a name is incorrect), you can give a document that shows the relationship between you and your family member along with a letter of explanation. You should also still include a copy of your birth certificate.
    • If you are sponsoring the mother/father of your mother/father, you must include a photocopy of your mother/father’s birth certificate, to clearly show the relationship between the two of you.
Marriage certificates
  • If you have a co-signer and they are your spouse, make sure you include a copy of your valid marriage certificate with your application. The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place.
    • Note: A record of solemnization is not acceptable for marriages that were legally registered in Canada or the United States of America.
  • If you are only sponsoring one parent or grandparent because the other is deceased, you don’t need to include a marriage certificate. You should include a letter explaining the situation, as well as the deceased parent’s death certificate.
  • If your parents don’t have a marriage certificate, include a detailed explanation as to why you can’t provide one.
  • If your parents are divorced, you can include a notarized divorce certificate to prove your parent is not a dependant of your other parent.
Oh No! I already submitted the application of my father. My mother is deceased. I didn’t attach any explanation or her death certificate.

Reactions: Ruhi123

Heli darji

Apr 29, 2019
Oh No! I already submitted the application of my father. My mother is deceased. I didn’t attach any explanation or her death certificate.
Hi
I am 2021 PGP applicant.
Don't worry during the process they will Request you to provide the proof of your mother's deceased.

tyrna610

Oct 28, 2022
Hello All,

I received an invite for sponsoring my parents. I never required a birth certificate ever until now. My father was able to locate my birth certificate after about 30 years. But I just discovered my passport has a different place of birth than the actual birth certificate. They are two different cities in the same province. All my PR, COPR and Citizenship application carry the wrong place of birth. Being very honest gross negligence on my part ended up with a different city name in the passport and it never bothered me until now

Will this be an issue? or how should I over come this?

also my birth certificate was issued before my naming ceremony so it does not carry my name.

Thanks in advance

mikegrandier

Star Member
Feb 22, 2021
Does anyone knows what to do?

My father is here in Canada visiting us. It will be 6months on January 2023. He wants to stay more than 6months. If i’m not mistaken it need to apply to extend his visit for another 6months. Since, I applied his PGP 2022 PR application this week, is he implied to stay in Canada? Or do we still
Need to apply his visitor permit?

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Does anyone knows what to do?

My father is here in Canada visiting us. It will be 6months on January 2023. He wants to stay more than 6months. If i’m not mistaken it need to apply to extend his visit for another 6months. Since, I applied his PGP 2022 PR application this week, is he implied to stay in Canada? Or do we still
Need to apply his visitor permit?
your Father doesnt have to stay in Canada while awaiting the process of PGP ,but for sure he needs to respect the deadline of the visit by renewing it or leave the country before it does .you dad will keep the status of a visitor ( while having it and while visiting Canada in addition to respecting the deadlines ) until a decision is made on the application taken in consideration the long process that can go beyond 3 years .

Last edited:

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Hello,

I am completing my mother's sponsorship application and am a little confused about how to fill her marital status in the application.

I am only planning to sponsor her and not my dad. Her ID document state that she is married however, she has been separated from my dad since 1995 with no ties whatsoever. So far I have her as "Separated" in all the applications. However, the Schedule A Declaration only has a "Legally Separated" option and I don't feel this is right. Should I have them all as separated and Schedule A as married, and attach a letter to explain the situation?

Finally, in the IMM 0008 I put that she doesn't have any dependents. Is that right, since my dad is separated from her and they have to ties together?

Any suggestions or feedback will be highly appreciated.
you solved your issue by exactly reflecting what should be done ,legally separated needs a proof that you dont have ,and you have to add your dads information and what you dont have its a simple not available that should be added for missing information ,your mom will be the principle applicant and in sequence his name and information should all be mentioned ,the letter of explanation is the one that will clear this matter

Reactions: Seen12

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Hello All,

I received an invite for sponsoring my parents. I never required a birth certificate ever until now. My father was able to locate my birth certificate after about 30 years. But I just discovered my passport has a different place of birth than the actual birth certificate. They are two different cities in the same province. All my PR, COPR and Citizenship application carry the wrong place of birth. Being very honest gross negligence on my part ended up with a different city name in the passport and it never bothered me until now

Will this be an issue? or how should I over come this?

also my birth certificate was issued before my naming ceremony so it does not carry my name.

Thanks in advance
trying to understand...what type of documentation you provided when applying for your passport and in sequence other information showed on your passport ,cause you can replace your birth certificate depending on the country that is providing the passport .

Last edited: