+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents & Grandparents Program(PGP) 2022

Oct 27, 2022
Hello

I got the invite for PGP program.
My question - Is it something that i can do my self or should i get an agent to complete the application for me?
all the agents that i have contacted are asking for $2500+tax just for application which is quite high.
Has anyone applied themselves?
I am thinking of doing myself as well, there are great people on this forum to help you out.

Oct 27, 2022
Hello everyone, I am sure a lot of people have answered or are looking for some answers. Calling out to all experienced folks who have completed the form already to give me some pointers for the following. Thanks in Advance
  1. I am applying for my mom and dad, do I use the representative form or just use the email to register and fill out the application as my Dad (PA) would do?
  2. For the Background declaration form online, my parent visited me during the last 10 years, for the addresses section do you mention the addresses in Canada as well?

Aryan2015

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
Why so much negativity? Its not like someone who purchase their first lottery hit jackpot and other person has spent all their life buying lottery and never won.

There is no such loop hole or no one took your spot, the guidelines are in plain English. Let me try this one last time.

Below is the link from 2020 PGP program,

Link 1: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/parents-grandparents-2020-launch.html

Before submitting 'interest to sponsor' the following links will help to determine if you are eligible to sponsor. If you click on the below 'eligible to sponsor' or 'minimum necessary income requirements.' then you will end up in link# 2

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Here’s what you need to know if you’re interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents:

• The interest to sponsor form is not an application. - So no need to fulfil eligibility criteria until you apply after ITA
  • The form is a way to inform IRCC you are interested in sponsoring your parents or grandparents. - Plain and simple
  • As a potential sponsor, you need to ensure that you are eligible to sponsor before you submit an interest to sponsor form. This includes making sure that you meet the minimum necessary income requirements. - After receiving ITA you are potential sponsor
  • Submitting the form more than once will not increase your chances of being invited to apply. All duplicate submissions will be removed.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Link 2: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1445&top=14

You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.

If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.

We can’t assess whether you meet the income requirements until you apply (if you’re invited).

Note:
For the 2022 process, we’ll assess sponsors on their income for tax years 2021, 2020 and 2019.

The highlighted text clearly tells you that, if you submit the 'interest to sponsor' and ONLY 'if you are invited' you are required to provide previous 3 yrs of tax statements. Until you are not invited you don't need to meet the eligibility criteria, you have intimated IRCC that you are interested to sponsor and that's all. IRCC is very clear stating they cant assess income requirements until you apply for which you have to be invited in the first place.

Wishing you good luck
Absolutely perfect. Everything comes in effect on the day of submitting real application ( being a potential sponsor).

This is called ‘ Thinking outside of the BOX’

Simple example from CIC guide:

Person doesn’t need to be PR or citizen to express the interest of sponsor. But must prove that on the day of application submission.

No one can suppress the good interest of any person, if he or she can prove in future, it’s against Canadian Charter of Human Rights.

For example no one can deny a physically disabled person to express interest submitting for race if willing to work hard to achieve goals in future.

Ruhi123

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks soo much for quick reply, You are awesome.
Hi, this form is really confusing, really appreciate your help. I have just sponsored my mom on visit visa 2 yrs ago, and that is all done, not valid any more. So question 3A Current undertakings will be 2 Mom n dad, then 3B i-iv are o then my husband who will be the main financial support as I am not working, and my two kids. pls correct me if I am wrong. Now Question 9 3.B1 remains empty? or I am doing something wrong. Also for question 10 all empty, thanks again for sharing your expertise.

Meenubarpagga

Oct 27, 2017
1. Assuming you need the birth certificate to show the relationship to the principal applicant, you can use your passport back page or OCI(similar document) back page (if you have any), or another document with a letter of explanation.
2. Similar thing for a Marriage certificate, your parent's passport's last page should have each other names as spouses and attach a letter of explanation.

See the bolded/underlined bullet points as follows:

Birth certificates
  • Make sure you submit a copy of your birth certificate, and (if you have included dependants in your application) the birth certificates of your family members.
  • If you don’t have access to a birth certificate for someone you’re sponsoring, or the one you have doesn’t clearly show your relationship (for example, a name is incorrect), you can give a document that shows the relationship between you and your family member along with a letter of explanation. You should also still include a copy of your birth certificate.
    • If you are sponsoring the mother/father of your mother/father, you must include a photocopy of your mother/father’s birth certificate, to clearly show the relationship between the two of you.
Marriage certificates
  • If you have a co-signer and they are your spouse, make sure you include a copy of your valid marriage certificate with your application. The document(s) you submit must show that the marriage was legally registered with the government where it took place.
    • Note: A record of solemnization is not acceptable for marriages that were legally registered in Canada or the United States of America.
  • If you are only sponsoring one parent or grandparent because the other is deceased, you don’t need to include a marriage certificate. You should include a letter explaining the situation, as well as the deceased parent’s death certificate.
  • If your parents don’t have a marriage certificate, include a detailed explanation as to why you can’t provide one.
  • If your parents are divorced, you can include a notarized divorce certificate to prove your parent is not a dependant of your other parent.
If we get a marriage affidavit for parents, Is letter of explanation still required?

Meenubarpagga

Oct 27, 2017
Hi Everyone
I am on maternity leave right now. Getting EI and child tax benefits both. For my income only EI will count or we can add child tax benefits as well.