+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents got their refugee claim accepted and now want to request me

DannyDarwich

Dec 9, 2023
Hello,

My parents got their refugee claim accepted last week and are now going through the process of getting a RTD.

I read on a website for reunification for immediate family members that they can request me to reunite with them as an option if I was under 22 years old at the lock in date. Unfortunately I was exactly 22 years old but I was completely dependent on my parents financially.

Is it possible for them to still request me for reunification and if so, what is the average timeline for this process as I am in a very tight spot in which the country im currently residing in will end my residence in 3-7 months due to legal reasons.

Would appreciate any of the help possible as I am still young and feel abandoned and alone with nowhere to go.

Db1000

Star Member
Aug 8, 2022
They can request you as you were under 22 at the lock in date.

The processing time is over a year so you'll have to make other arrangements in the meantime.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

My parents got their refugee claim accepted last week and are now going through the process of getting a RTD.

I read on a website for reunification for immediate family members that they can request me to reunite with them as an option if I was under 22 years old at the lock in date. Unfortunately I was exactly 22 years old but I was completely dependent on my parents financially.

Is it possible for them to still request me for reunification and if so, what is the average timeline for this process as I am in a very tight spot in which the country im currently residing in will end my residence in 3-7 months due to legal reasons.

Would appreciate any of the help possible as I am still young and feel abandoned and alone with nowhere to go.
Were you 21 or 22 as of the lock in date? This is very important.

Mancini

Star Member
Sep 6, 2023
Hello Danny,

(I sent you a message back in December but maybe you didn't read it at the time)..

I read about this matter because I also have a daughter who is 22, same like your age (at the lock date when I submitted my refugee claim), but what I understood is that at the lock date, if a child has not completed 21 (i.e. has not turned 22) then he/she can be included in the PR application. However, if the child is already 22 or older, then he/she cannot be included.

However, the exception for this is that if there is an evidence that the child is still fully dependent on the parents and is single.

Also there is an important requirement about the child suffering from mental/physical issues as a result of which the child cannot live independently or earn income.

There is one brother in this forum, a great guy who has been of all possible help to almost all the members here, no words can duly describe how grateful we are to him..

@Simba112

Please if you can help in this regard, in the case of Danny, can his parents include him with them although he is 22 years old at the lock date?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

Provided you were 22 during the time your parent filed for refugee claim,you are not eligible to be added as dependant, unless if you can prove the following;
  • Single with physical and mental conditions

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

If you are healthy and are only financially dependent on your family due to economic issues you do not qualify to be included in the PR application of the protected person. The exception is really for those who have medical conditions for example some children with autism, Down syndrome, etc who are unable to live independently or only independently with supervision. The exception are not for children who are financially dependent on their parents because of high unemployment rates for example. Even if you qualify for the exception some children are still not approved because they can’t pass the medical. It’s a catch 22.

Last edited: