+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents Entered Canada (on visitors visa) but got approved only for two months stay by CBSA!!!

rajesjmakhija0878

May 10, 2021
Hello,

I am in need of urgent guidance. My parents who are Indian Citizens entered Canada yesterday (via land) from US. This is their first ever visit to Canada and they have a valid visitor's visa. At the border, immigration officers granted only two months stay as against 5-6 months that I was expecting. They gave them a Visitors Record letter stating that they need to leave Canada in the next two months. Unfortunately, the situation back in India is really bad and flights from Canada to India are suspended. I don't want to take the risk of sending them via indirect flights. This would be too risky for them in this COVID situation considering that they are in the vulnerable age group with pre-existing medical conditions.

I am a Canadian PR holder and my parents are considered immediate family members as per the latest travel regulations in place. I wasn't expecting that they will restrict their stay here in Canada. I am really worried about what do do next.

Can someone please guide me on what I can do to extend their stay here in Canada. Considering that they have been handed over the Visitors Record letter with an expiry date, can I still apply for an extension? Will it work ?

Any help/guidance will greatly be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am in need of urgent guidance. My parents who are Indian Citizens entered Canada yesterday (via land) from US. This is their first ever visit to Canada and they have a valid visitor's visa. At the border, immigration officers granted only two months stay as against 5-6 months that I was expecting. They gave them a Visitors Record letter stating that they need to leave Canada in the next two months. Unfortunately, the situation back in India is really bad and flights from Canada to India are suspended. I don't want to take the risk of sending them via indirect flights. This would be too risky for them in this COVID situation considering that they are in the vulnerable age group with pre-existing medical conditions.

I am a Canadian PR holder and my parents are considered immediate family members as per the latest travel regulations in place. I wasn't expecting that they will restrict their stay here in Canada. I am really worried about what do do next.

Can someone please guide me on what I can do to extend their stay here in Canada. Considering that they have been handed over the Visitors Record letter with an expiry date, can I still apply for an extension? Will it work ?

Any help/guidance will greatly be appreciated.
It's always up to CBSA how long someone is allowed into Canada. If CBSA has concerns that it looks like the visitors may have intentions of staying long term, they it's not unusual for them to grant shorter visits. If your parents happened to be visiting the US prior to coming to Canada and had been in the US for a while, that was likely one of the reasons why they were only granted a shorter visit to Canada.

If you want them to stay longer, then you will need to apply for an extension before their current stay expires (and yes, you can apply to extend). Whether the extension is granted or not will be up to IRCC.

rajesjmakhija0878

May 10, 2021
It's always up to CBSA how long someone is allowed into Canada. If CBSA has concerns that it looks like the visitors may have intentions of staying long term, they it's not unusual for them to grant shorter visits. If your parents happened to be visiting the US prior to coming to Canada and had been in the US for a while, that was likely one of the reasons why they were only granted a shorter visit to Canada.

If you want them to stay longer, then you will need to apply for an extension before their current stay expires (and yes, you can apply to extend). Whether the extension is granted or not will be up to IRCC.
Thank you so much for your message. This makes sense to me. I will try and apply for an extension. Hopefully that works for us.