+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and sister Visitor Visa Refused - seeking advice based on the GCMS notes

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
I applied for my parents and my sister (all together and my dad was the main applicant) on summer 2018 and their visa were rejected. Based on officer note, the reasons for rejection were : "Mr and Mrs are planning to travel with their disable daughter (my sister) Modest income and funds. the older daughter (me) income is modest and insufficient to cover her own expenses as student unless supplemented by my family. Having 3 family members visiting her in Canada is not making much sense form the financial point of view versus the host (me) visiting family back in the home country. Insufficient travel history and I am not satisfied that the proposed visit is reasonable based on expenses assets are modest and consider that the incentive to remain in Canada may outweigh the applicants' ties to their country of residence. and I am not satisfied that the applicants will depart Canada at the end of their trip".

A little background about the myself during that time:
I was a graduate student on study permit- I had only 2k CAD in my account and funding letter from university showing 18K CAD per year.

My parents background:
My dad is self- employed (own a hair salon) and my mom is teacher teacher. They own a property and they showed almost 26K CAD for a month visit. We mentioned that they will stay in my apartment.
My parents had limited travel history (only one country in Asia)
My sister is mild intellectual disable. She is physically healthy and trainable and able to do her daily activities and tasks. She finished high school in school for children with special needs and did middle school and elementary school in a normal school. She did not go to University. Instead, she is registered in various art classes which are designed for children with special needs and she is just going to those classes and build art crafts in different sectors (I explained these in their application). She is an adult but I cannot apply for her alone since she is financially dependent to my parents and she does not have income. I included her international disability card and explained her conditions.

Now, I am planning to apply again. Now, I am a permanent resident for almost a month, working full- time for almost 2 year. I have not seen them for the past 4 years. I have a well-paid job and very good amount of money in my Saving account to fully support them financially.

Concerns:
Although the officer did not mention that he/she refused them due to her condition, I am wondering whether it is related to my sister condition? I am still wondering whether 26 K cad was not sufficient for one month trip? if that is the case how much money (at minimum) I should provide to show that it is sufficient, especially for my sister.Does my sister need to do any medical test for the visitor visa?

My member of Parliament is going to write a letter for me to support my parents and sister application too.

Thank you so much for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I applied for my parents and my sister (all together and my dad was the main applicant) on summer 2018 and their visa were rejected. Based on officer note, the reasons for rejection were : "Mr and Mrs are planning to travel with their disable daughter (my sister) Modest income and funds. the older daughter (me) income is modest and insufficient to cover her own expenses as student unless supplemented by my family. Having 3 family members visiting her in Canada is not making much sense form the financial point of view versus the host (me) visiting family back in the home country. Insufficient travel history and I am not satisfied that the proposed visit is reasonable based on expenses assets are modest and consider that the incentive to remain in Canada may outweigh the applicants' ties to their country of residence. and I am not satisfied that the applicants will depart Canada at the end of their trip".

I was a graduate student on study permit- I had only 2k CAD in my account and funding letter from university showing 18K CAD per year.

My parents background:
My dad is self- employed (own a hair salon) and my mom is teacher teacher. They own a property and they showed almost 26K CAD for a month visit. We mentioned that they will stay in my apartment.
My sister is mild intellectual disable. She is physically healthy and trainable and able to do her daily activities and tasks. She finished high school in school for children with special needs and did middle school and elementary school in a normal school. She did not go to University. Instead, she is registered in various art classes which are designed for children with special needs and she is just going to those classes and build art crafts in different sectors (I explained these in their application). She is an adult but I cannot apply for her alone since she is financially dependent to my parents and she does not have income. I included her international disability card and explained her conditions.

Now, I am planning to apply again. Now, I am a permanent resident for almost a month, working full- time for almost 2 year. I have not seen them for the past 4 years. I have a well-paid job and very good amount of money in my Saving account to fully support them financially.

Concerns:
Although the officer did not mention that he/she refused them due to her condition, I am wondering whether it is related to my sister condition? I am still wondering whether 26 K cad was not sufficient for one month trip? if that is the case how much money (at minimum) I should provide to show that it is sufficient, especially for my sister.Does my sister need to do any medical test for the visitor visa?

My member of Parliament is going to write a letter for me to support my parents and sister application too.

My thoughts:
- Don't bother with the MP letter. It doesn't add value and may detract from the application.
- Show both your parents' bank balance as well as your bank balance to support the trip. There's no stated minimum. You will have to guess.
- You should also include a letter of employment and your parents' property documents.
- Yes, it's possible your sister's condition may have been one of the reasons for refusal. I'm not sure what you can do about this since I assume you're not willing to have your parents travel without her. I would again include a letter to explain that she is dependent on your parents and why she cannot apply on her own.
- No, your sister should not need to take a medical.
- You could consider buying private medical travel insurance in advance to show that your sister's needs will be covered while she is here (at least any emergency needs). If you do this, make sure the insurance can be canceled if the visa isn't approved.

Good luck.

Reactions: Shaparak1996

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

My parents background:

Concerns:

As mentioned , the letter from the MP isn’t needed and sometimes it can be detrimental. I worked in a Government department, and it wasn’t looked upon favourably when a MP wrote a letter. MP’s have a job. That job isnt to try to influence a individuals decision when they are doing their job

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
My thoughts:
- Don't bother with the MP letter. It doesn't add value and may detract from the application.
- Show both your parents' bank balance as well as your bank balance to support the trip. There's no stated minimum. You will have to guess.
- You should also include a letter of employment and your parents' property documents.
- Yes, it's possible your sister's condition may have been one of the reasons for refusal. I'm not sure what you can do about this since I assume you're not willing to have your parents travel without her. I would again include a letter to explain that she is dependent on your parents and why she cannot apply on her own.
- No, your sister should not need to take a medical.
- You could consider buying private medical travel insurance in advance to show that your sister's needs will be covered while she is here (at least any emergency needs). If you do this, make sure the insurance can be canceled if the visa isn't approved.

Good luck.
Thank you for your response and guiding me. Do you suggest that I apply for them separately? for example, I apply for my mom alone first and get the visa. and then apply for my dad with my sister?

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
As mentioned , the letter from the MP isn’t needed and sometimes it can be detrimental. I worked in a Government department, and it wasn’t looked upon favourably when a MP wrote a letter. MP’s have a job. That job isnt to try to influence a individuals decision when they are doing their job
Thank you for your comment. The only reason that I was thinking to get the letter was to support that I did not see them for the past 4 years and I saw some people got the letter and the results was positive. Do you have any other comments regarding my sister situation and what can be helpful in this case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response and guiding me. Do you suggest that I apply for them separately? for example, I apply for my mom alone first and get the visa. and then apply for my dad with my sister?
- I would only suggest this if you are OK with your mom only being approved and coming alone. Otherwise they should all apply together.

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
- I would only suggest this if you are OK with your mom only being approved and coming alone. Otherwise they should all apply together.
would you please kindly explain this why? is it because you think they might reject my father and sister application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
would you please kindly explain this why? is it because you think they might reject my father and sister application?
Yes.

By having your mother apply on her own, you will strengthen her application. But this won't strengthen your father's and sister's application. If anything, it makes it look like you split the applications just to try to increase the chances of approval. IMO if you want all of them to come then you should have them all apply together.

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
Hi @scylla,

We discussed about my parents and my sister (an adult dependent to my parents) situation for making a visit in Canada. She has a disability identification card which is in English and is given to her from Social Welfare Organization from my home country (Iran). I included this card previously but their application was rejected due to financial status and not convincing officer that they will come back. Do you think it is a good idea to include this card again? Thank you so much for your guidance. I will also buy insurance to include in the application. I also would like to add that currently, Canada has announced to PR and citizens to avoid traveling to Iran and it has been 4 years for me that I did not have the chance to reunite with my family members. Do you think this situation can help them to get the visa? Thanks.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @scylla,

We discussed about my parents and my sister (an adult dependent to my parents) situation for making a visit in Canada. She has a disability identification card which is in English and is given to her from Social Welfare Organization from my home country (Iran). I included this card previously but their application was rejected due to financial status and not convincing officer that they will come back. Do you think it is a good idea to include this card again? Thank you so much for your guidance. I will also buy insurance to include in the application. I also would like to add that currently, Canada has announced to PR and citizens to avoid traveling to Iran and it has been 4 years for me that I did not have the chance to reunite with my family members. Do you think this situation can help them to get the visa? Thanks.
The officer will be able to see your previous application that was refused. I don't think it makes sense to exclude the card this time if you included it last time. I would include the card since you need to show your sister is dependent on your parents or otherwise she should be applying on her own.

I would not mention that Canada has advised PRs and citizens not to travel to Iran. If anything, this could raise additional concerns your family wants to come here permanently. I would focus on strengthening their ties to their home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also try to explain why you can’t visit them. Financially it doesn’t make sense to pay for 3 people to travel versus 1 and if you only have 26k in savings you would spend 1/4-1/5th of your savings on a trip is tough to justify. As already mentioned the fact that you are from Iran will create concerns that they have plans to remain in Canada. Do you have any other siblings who live in Iran? Other family members who live in Canada?

baranoth

Star Member
Jun 15, 2022

My parents background:

Concerns:

I don't think they'd refuse them the visit visa now if you have a sizable amount of money to show as funds. The only reason I can think your sister's disability might factor in would be that they think she needs special care which costs a lot of money (here in Canada or anywhere for that matter). If you can show that you can afford any unforeseen medical cost that could arise due to her disability while on the trip, then it shouldn't be a problem. That's why your proof of funds might have to be higher than anyone else.

Apologies if that sounded indifferent. I mean it as respectfully as possible.

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
Would also try to explain why you can’t visit them. Financially it doesn’t make sense to pay for 3 people to travel versus 1 and if you only have 26k in savings you would spend 1/4-1/5th of your savings on a trip is tough to justify. As already mentioned the fact that you are from Iran will create concerns that they have plans to remain in Canada. Do you have any other siblings who live in Iran? Other family members who live in Canada?
Thank you for pointing this. I have started a new position 3 months ago and I cannot take 3 weeks off to go my home country to visit and it has been 4 years that I could not go and make a visit. Also, I wanted my parents to see my life here that I have established and it gives them a peace of mind that I have a good life here. I have met someone and I would like my parents to meet him too. I will explain these three points to officer (in invitation letter). I am thinking to maybe apply only for my mom and my sister and see if they will get visa. My mother and my dad (he is going to sign an affidavit that he is going to financially support my mom and my sister during this trip too) will show in total 25K CAD for this trip. They own a house which I will include in their profile. My mom is taking care of my grand parents and I will include a letter from their family doctor stating that they need someone to visit them everyday for their daily activities. My mom is the only child who is living in the same city as my grand parents live. My grand parents are +85 years old and my mom doing their daily shopping, cooking and their doctor's visit. Also, my mom is a teacher, so she cannot leave her job and she has worked for more than 27 years and she needs to continue working to get retired and have all the benefits. Also, my dad will stay in Iran and I assume this is a strong tie. I do not have any siblings in Iran and no family member in Canada. Also, I will show almost 65k CAD in my bank account and I also have 15K CAD approved line of credit and no mortgage and no loan. I have my job letter stating that I am earning almost 6 figure salary and I am working full-time permanently. I will sign an affidavit that I am able to happily pay for all the expenses during their trip including flight tickets, food, transportation and any other expenses. I appreciate it if you share your thoughts in this circumstance.

Last edited:

Shaparak1996

Jun 13, 2022
I don't think they'd refuse them the visit visa now if you have a sizable amount of money to show as funds. The only reason I can think your sister's disability might factor in would be that they think she needs special care which costs a lot of money (here in Canada or anywhere for that matter). If you can show that you can afford any unforeseen medical cost that could arise due to her disability while on the trip, then it shouldn't be a problem. That's why your proof of funds might have to be higher than anyone else.

Apologies if that sounded indifferent. I mean it as respectfully as possible.
Thank you for your response. My parents will show almost 25K in their saving accounts for my mom and my sister trip. I also show 65k CAD in my bank account + 15K CAD available line of credit. Do you think this amount of money is sufficient? If you think it is not sufficient, please let me know and I will save more money and apply later for them.

I can ask my sister's family doctor to write a letter stating that she does not use any medicine and she is physically healthy. Do you think it is a good idea?
I will also buy a very good insurance for them and include in their application. To be honest, I cannot think of more document or way to prove that they are not going to stay here and it is only a family reuniting visit. :) any suggestion is greatly appreciated and thank you so much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for pointing this. I have started a new position 3 months ago and I cannot take 3 weeks off to go my home country to visit and it has been 4 years that I could not go and make a visit. Also, I wanted my parents to see my life here that I have established and it gives them a peace of mind that I have a good life here. I have met someone and I would like my parents to meet him too. I will explain these three points to officer (in invitation letter). I am thinking to maybe apply only for my mom and my sister and see if they will get visa. My mother and my dad (he is going to sign an affidavit that he is going to financially support my mom and my sister during this trip too) will show in total 25K CAD for this trip. They own a house which I will include in their profile. My mom is taking care of my grand parents and I will include a letter from their family doctor stating that they need someone to visit them everyday for their daily activities. My mom is the only child who is living in the same city as my grand parents live. My grand parents are +85 years old and my mom doing their daily shopping, cooking and their doctor's visit. Also, my mom is a teacher, so she cannot leave her job and she has worked for more than 27 years and she needs to continue working to get retired and have all the benefits. Also, my dad will stay in Iran and I assume this is a strong tie. I do not have any siblings in Iran and no family member in Canada. Also, I will show almost 65k CAD in my bank account and I also have 15K CAD approved line of credit and no mortgage and no loan. I have my job letter stating that I am earning almost 6 figure salary and I am working full-time permanently. I will sign an affidavit that I am able to happily pay for all the expenses during their trip including flight tickets, food, transportation and any other expenses. I appreciate it if you share your thoughts in this circumstance.
You will have a better chance if your mother and sister apply without your father. Your sister still may be an issue. The fact that your mother works and will need to continue working to qualify for her pension provides a good argument as to why she needs to return. She should specify that she is only planning on travelling during her school holiday or provide a letter from her school indicating she has approved leave for a month from school. Having grandparents in Iran does show toes but since your father is the one who can provide care it isn’t a very strong tie. It is worth mentioning since the whole picture is always considered.