+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2023

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi all, I am new to PGP Sponsorship. I reviewed the requirements to sponsor and details about the process involved. I don't see any information about the timeline for the expected opening of the 2023 pool. I'm not surprised that it hasn't been released yet as the candidates from 2022's draw were only recently selected.

From historical trends of PGP program, how far in advance of a given year's PGP pool opening are the dates published in IRCC's news release? Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all, I am new to PGP Sponsorship. I reviewed the requirements to sponsor and details about the process involved. I don't see any information about the timeline for the expected opening of the 2023 pool. I'm not surprised that it hasn't been released yet as the candidates from 2022's draw were only recently selected.

From historical trends of PGP program, how far in advance of a given year's PGP pool opening are the dates published in IRCC's news release? Thanks for any tips.
How far in advance is sometime not relevant.

Like in 2019, applicants to sponsor their parents and grandparents had to complete their online form in 11 minutes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ircc-parent-grandparent-sponsorship-filled-2019-1.4995806

• Wow
Reactions: dillym

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for your reply!

Wow, that's ridiculous. I've heard that many have complained about the PGP Sponsorship system and that it's flawed. But boy oh boy, 2019 was next level ridiculous.
PGP sponsorship is the best ting Canada can do when it comes to family gathering ,taking in consideration the age group involved and although all of us are impacted by the delays but the anticipated announced numbers by IRCC will be processed eventually ,minding all the flaws .

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
PGP sponsorship is the best ting Canada can do when it comes to family gathering ,taking in consideration the age group involved and although all of us are impacted by the delays but the anticipated announced numbers by IRCC will be processed eventually ,minding all the flaws .
If you are one of the people who has to wait many years to get an invitation, it's not so great.

Br33zer

Mar 18, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Can someone clarify if my wife (who is new to Canada as PR) can sponsor her parents under PGP whenever it comes out next? I can be a cosigner to support the MNI/LICO.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011

Br33zer

Mar 18, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
if the main question is related to your wife being a new PR its not an issue ,whats left is the financial requirements

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html
Yes, but I had this doubt about income requirements for last 3 taxation years. My wife of course doesn't have this, but I do.

"You (the sponsor) and your co-signer (if applicable) must meet an income requirement for each of the 3 consecutive taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application..."

shuggzz

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 July 2014
AOR Received.
Never received it
IELTS Request
CELPIP Sent with app
Med's Request
March 11 2015
Med's Done....
March 20 2015
Passport Req..
May 23 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 2 2015
Hi All, I have been a Canadian Citizen since Jan 2019 and have wanted to sponsor my parents for sometime now. Unfortunately i never had the opportunity to apply for the Parent Sponsorship program in time (due to some changes in situation for myself and my family). Is there any other way to help find immigration options for them to Canada? I don't think waiting for the family sponsorship program is guaranteed. So curious if there is other options like work permits or study permits or other visa's that we can look at for atleast for 1 parent? Any advice or help is much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All, I have been a Canadian Citizen since Jan 2019 and have wanted to sponsor my parents for sometime now. Unfortunately i never had the opportunity to apply for the Parent Sponsorship program in time (due to some changes in situation for myself and my family). Is there any other way to help find immigration options for them to Canada? I don't think waiting for the family sponsorship program is guaranteed. So curious if there is other options like work permits or study permits or other visa's that we can look at for atleast for 1 parent? Any advice or help is much appreciated.
To qualify for a work permit, one of your parents would need to secure a job offer in Canada with an employer here. That employer would then have to secure an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, your parent can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. The job your parent is offered in Canada will need to be aligned to their previous work experience.

To qualify for a study permit, one of your parents will need to be accepted into a program at a university or college in Canada and then apply for a study permit. They will need to show a bank balance of at least $25,000 to be approved to show they can cover first year tuition and living expenses. The program they pick to take in Canada must make sense based on their previous work experience and education - you want to make sure there's a progression in studies.

Your parents are also free to apply independently for economic immigration such as Express Entry and PNP, although their ages may work against them.

citizenshipcanada

Sep 1, 2011
Yes, but I had this doubt about income requirements for last 3 taxation years. My wife of course doesn't have this, but I do.

"You (the sponsor) and your co-signer (if applicable) must meet an income requirement for each of the 3 consecutive taxation years immediately preceding the date of your application..."
thats the value of a co-signer ,she is the only one that can sponsor her parents and with you co-signing with her you will both meet the income requirements .( one of you is enough to cover the financial needs in this case ,for sure after co-signing )

shuggzz

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 July 2014
AOR Received.
Never received it
IELTS Request
CELPIP Sent with app
Med's Request
March 11 2015
Med's Done....
March 20 2015
Passport Req..
May 23 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 2 2015
To qualify for a work permit, one of your parents would need to secure a job offer in Canada with an employer here. That employer would then have to secure an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, your parent can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. The job your parent is offered in Canada will need to be aligned to their previous work experience.

To qualify for a study permit, one of your parents will need to be accepted into a program at a university or college in Canada and then apply for a study permit. They will need to show a bank balance of at least $25,000 to be approved to show they can cover first year tuition and living expenses. The program they pick to take in Canada must make sense based on their previous work experience and education - you want to make sure there's a progression in studies.

Your parents are also free to apply independently for economic immigration such as Express Entry and PNP, although their ages may work against them.
Thanks Scylla - feeling like these options are pretty hard for me given my parents being 65 years old already.. I will keep looking at all options.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla - feeling like these options are pretty hard for me given my parents being 65 years old already.. I will keep looking at all options.
If they are 65 already, then economic immigration really isn't going to be an option and I think it will be extremely difficult to get a study permit approved. I think the same for a work permit.

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
Why don't you try supervisa while you "wait" for PGP. Work visa and study permit does seem like a stretch at that age, if the average retirement age is 65years....

shuggzz

Star Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 July 2014
AOR Received.
Never received it
IELTS Request
CELPIP Sent with app
Med's Request
March 11 2015
Med's Done....
March 20 2015
Passport Req..
May 23 2015
VISA ISSUED...
June 2 2015
I could but I'm worried because I know they won't have access to healthcare for free or be able to buy a home etc.. If they want to move here permanently with their age I think it would be important to have access to the healthcare piece.. Does anyone know if Super Visa will give them the option to use the OHIP?