+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship 2021

Fred200a

Feb 20, 2017
EI is not social assistance as stated in the link provided. Have you read the link and the information provided to you. You subtract EI from line 150 for 2018.
If i subtract EI then my income is $67,346. With this income is it should my family size be consider as 5 in 2018 while was living alone but married and my wife was not with me at that time. my wife joined me in canada in Dec, 24th 2018. so will my family size then be 2 or 5 since i am sponsoring my father, my step mum and their dependent child.

anca cukovic

Oct 29, 2018
Hello everyone,
Can you please help me with a clarification - Form IMM 0008. I keep seeing different opinions on who needs to be added as a dependent.
My, mother is the principal applicant, my father will be the dependent, I am an only child and I am the sponsor.
Does she need to add me to the form? I am confused about the wording below: You must list all your children even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada)." It says all children but the form is for dependents.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Dependants
You must provide details about each of your family members, whether they will come with you to Canada or not. You must list all your children even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada).
You must also include details on family members if you don’t know where they are (even those missing or presumed dead). If you don’t list them on your application, you will not be able to sponsor them later if your situation changes.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If i subtract EI then my income is $67,346. With this income is it should my family size be consider as 5 in 2018 while was living alone but married and my wife was not with me at that time. my wife joined me in canada in Dec, 24th 2018. so will my family size then be 2 or 5 since i am sponsoring my father, my step mum and their dependent child.
If you were married in 2018 even though your wife was not in Canada, your total family size is 5. Do you have any children? How old is the dependant child? You can only count any EI for the 2020 income tax year. You don’t meet LICO for 2018 so your application will be refused.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

gmancanada

Oct 3, 2021
Hello, I'm in the process of filling out Additional Family Information [IMM 5406] form for my mother (the applicant) and have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. My mother was previously married twice, one of these marriages was with my father. Both marriages ended in divorce and none of her exes are part of the family. Do I still need to provide her ex husband info (her last husband died after the divorce) under Relationship - Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner section of IMM 5406 form? Please advise. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your family size is 5 for 2018. You need to include your wife since you were married and all of the people you are sponsoring.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Anne21

Star Member
Jun 28, 2020
In imm5768e - Financial Evaluation form, in question # 6 about the dependents, I gave birth this year (2021), do I add my newborn child to question # 6 or just the kids during 2018, 2019 and 2020?

asmus

Oct 3, 2021
Hi
We received an invitation to sponsor my parents. My father has dementia and high needs, and my mother is healthy. I suspect that my father will not be admissible based on his health needs. My mother is currently his main caregiver. questions:
- Can we get him approved on humanitarian basis? (he is currently visiting Canada, They are both US citizens)
- If we apply only for my mother and list him as non accompanying dependent: Does have to have medical exam? If he is bedridden and can not present for an exam will they be denied, or will they do virtual assessment or accept his Doctor's note?. Do we have to show that we will have other arrangements for him (nursing home) at the time of the application (to explain why he is not accompanying), or does that have to happen later in the application process, when they ask for more info?
- Anyone had luck getting humanitarian reason for their parent, or is it very hard?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi
We received an invitation to sponsor my parents. My father has dementia and high needs, and my mother is healthy. I suspect that my father will not be admissible based on his health needs. My mother is currently his main caregiver. questions:
- Can we get him approved on humanitarian basis? (he is currently visiting Canada, They are both US citizens)
- If we apply only for my mother and list him as non accompanying dependent: Does have to have medical exam? If he is bedridden and can not present for an exam will they be denied, or will they do virtual assessment or accept his Doctor's note?. Do we have to show that we will have other arrangements for him (nursing home) at the time of the application (to explain why he is not accompanying), or does that have to happen later in the application process, when they ask for more info?
- Anyone had luck getting humanitarian reason for their parent, or is it very hard?
- It doesn't make sense to do this (i.e. separately apply for your father through an H&C application). Your father must take and pass the medical as part of your mother's PGP application regardless of whether he is accompanying or non-accompanying. You should submit the PGP application with your mother as the primary applicant and with your father as an accompanying dependent.
- Your father must pass the medical in order for your mother's PR visa to be approved, even if he is non-accompanying. There is no way to completely exclude him from the application. If he fails the medical (or fails to take the medical) the full application will be refused (including your mother). There's no way to get him excluded from taking the medical.
- You can request H&C consideration as part of the PGP application if you think your father's medical is not going to be approved.

asmus

Oct 3, 2021
- It doesn't make sense to do this (i.e. separately apply for your father through an H&C application). Your father must take and pass the medical as part of your mother's PGP application regardless of whether he is accompanying or non-accompanying. You should submit the PGP application with your mother as the primary applicant and with your father as an accompanying dependent.
- Your father must pass the medical in order for your mother's PR visa to be approved, even if he is non-accompanying. There is no way to completely exclude him from the application. If he fails the medical (or fails to take the medical) the full application will be refused (including your mother). There's no way to get him excluded from taking the medical.
- You can request H&C consideration as part of the PGP application if you think your father's medical is not going to be approved.
Thanks for the reply. So, are you saying the only chance we have in this application would be by putting him as an accompanying dependant and hope for him to be accepted on humanitarian reasons?

Fred200a

Feb 20, 2017
If you were married in 2018 even though your wife was not in Canada, your total family size is 5. Do you have any children? How old is the dependant child? You can only count any EI for the 2020 income tax year. You don’t meet LICO for 2018 so your application will be refused.
so are you saying because of $1000 difference between my income and LICO, immigration will refuse my application? I don't think is make a lot of difference for just a $1000 short

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the reply. So, are you saying the only chance we have in this application would be by putting him as an accompanying dependant and hope for him to be accepted on humanitarian reasons?
It's up to you whether you include him as accompanying or non-accompanying. Either way, he must take and pass the medical in order for your mother's PR visa to be approved. So you might as well include him as accompanying.

If you think he will not pass the medical, then when you submit the PGP application you can request H&C consideration (IRCC may or may not consider this). If you want to go this route, you would be best to work with an immigration lawyer. Or you can wait until the results of your father's medical have bee assessed and see if IRCC sends a PFL with an intent to deny the application due to your father's health, and then request H&C consideration or to try to fight this decision with the help of a lawyer.

Your father will need to appear at a medical if you want to make a go of this. Not taking the medical is not an option regardless of what you do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
so are you saying because of $1000 difference between my income and LICO, immigration will refuse my application? I don't think is make a lot of difference for just a $1000 short
If you fall below the minimum, IRCC will refuse your application. The minimums are hard minimums. There is no flexibility.

If your income falls below the minimum, you should never have submitted an entry into the lottery. You didn't qualify.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is a firm rule as LICO must be met. There has to be a minium amount set. People are refused automatically if short by $10.

Last edited:

hhs2019

Jul 23, 2019
Ontario
NOC Code......
Hi Guys,

I live with my wife and have no children. I have received invitation to sponsor my mother (total family size: me, my wife, my mother). My income is as following:
  1. 2018: $31,000 CAD (I was student at that time and worked for just 3 ending months of 2018)
  2. 2019: $120,000 CAD
  3. 2020: $120,000 CAD
Currently, I'm working. Am I eligible to sponsor my mother or not? 2018 amount is less than MNI but my income is way more than the threshold for the next years. Any idea that I'm eligible or not?

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Guys,

I live with my wife and have no children. I have received invitation to sponsor my mother (total family size: me, my wife, my mother). My income is as following:
  1. 2018: $31,000 CAD (I was student at that time and worked for just 3 ending months of 2018)
  2. 2019: $120,000 CAD
  3. 2020: $120,000 CAD
Currently, I'm working. Am I eligible to sponsor my mother or not? 2018 amount is less than MNI but my income is way more than the threshold for the next years. Any idea that I'm eligible or not?

Thanks
You have to meet LICO for all 3 years. Doesn‘t matter if you were over the threshold for two years. Does your wife have 2018 income to add? If not you were not eligible and you should not have entered the pool last year.