+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents and Grandparent Program: Dependant

Samantha_123

Jan 22, 2021
Hi ,
I am filing an application for Parents and Grandparent Sponsor program. I am applying for my father only for now. I am confused about one of the questions on IMM008 which is to be filled by the principal applicant (My Father).
Add a Dependant: So should I add my mother as a dependant even if she is not added in the sponsorship program?
If Yes, it asks me a reason why dependent is non-accompanying? Can anyone give me a good reason for non accompaniment?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Your mom can be a non-accompanying dependent. BUT she needs to go through all the process and your income need to meet the family size including her.

Samantha_123

Jan 22, 2021
Your mom can be a non-accompanying dependent. BUT she needs to go through all the process and your income need to meet the family size including her.
Thank you so much for the response. Really appreciate it. But I am not meeting the minimum requirement for three people. I want to sponsor my father only as of now. In addition she is not financially dependant on him as we have business back home under her name. Would that be fine if I do not include her as a dependant?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you so much for the response. Really appreciate it. But I am not meeting the minimum requirement for three people. I want to sponsor my father only as of now. In addition she is not financially dependant on him as we have business back home under her name. Would that be fine if I do not include her as a dependant?
It's not possible. And the term dependant does not mean financially dependant. For PGP, one of the parents is the principle applicant and the other is the dependant (spouse). There is no option to sponsor only 1 because once 1 become a PR, he/she can sponsor a spouse.

Bao Nguyen

Mar 7, 2018
It's not possible. And the term dependant does not mean financially dependant. For PGP, one of the parents is the principle applicant and the other is the dependant (spouse). There is no option to sponsor only 1 because once 1 become a PR, he/she can sponsor a spouse.
Hi,

I am just wondering why it is not possible. From my understanding and research from multiple sources and talking to couple IRCC consultants ,if the principal applicant does not include the spouse under dependants section which means the dependants will not come with or will not be sponsored by the principal applicant for future, other words, the principal's spouse/dependents is under life ban sponsor by THE PRINCIPAL APPLICANT ONLY. this is listed under Section 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations imposes a lifelong sponsorship ban on family members who were not declared at the time of the principal applicant’s immigration to Canada.
sources:
https://ccrweb.ca/en/psr-toolkit/application-refugees-include-in-application-3

However, from my understanding, the other parent can be sponsored another time by another stream/method/program, but the other parent cannot be sponsored by PRINCIPAL.

I personally did not declare the other parent under dependants section in the imm0008. the imm0008 allows me to answer the question 3 as 1.
As the other parents, the sponsor may have to find another way to sponsor him/her. Maybe through another PGP20XX

I can be wrong, however, I take my chance. If the immigration law does not allow to sponsor only one person, then it is really absurd and they need to do a better job to provide a clarification for people. And if such sponsor option is not available why they even let/allow the sponsor the option to apply to "interest to sponsor" for 1 person only.

Second of all,
to clarify for the "dependant does not mean financially dependant "

"dependant" definition in " Accompanying family member Related term: Accompanying dependant:
" A spouse, common-law partner, dependent child or dependent child of a dependent child (grandchild), who plans to immigrate to Canada with the principal applicant. Accompanying family members are included on the application. "

"Non-accompanying family members Related term: Non-accompanying dependant"
Family members who are dependent on the principal applicant but who are not immigrating to Canada. They include a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and the children of a dependent child. These people must be listed on the principal applicant’s application for permanent residence. They should have a medical exam so they can remain eligible for sponsorship at a later date."

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
you can put that person as non-accompanying but your income requirement still need to meet it for sponsoring all.
Unless something changed this year.

Bao Nguyen

Mar 7, 2018
you can put that person as non-accompanying but your income requirement still need to meet it for sponsoring all.
Unless something changed this year.
Non-accompanying member still counts as family size. not having them in under "dependants" or "Non-accompanying member" still at least allow the sponsor an opportunity to bring the parent wanting to stay in Canada with their children. one draw back is the PRINCIPAL APPLICANT cant sponsor their dependants or spouse under Section 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

This approach is okay for some family which one parent does not like the Canadian weather/culture and never intend to stay in Canada as permanent residence(my dad said "why do I want to stay in a cold region where the people cannot understand me and neither I understand them, I would rather stay in a warm climate region where everyone understand me", this is reasonable to me lol), and the other parent can stay in Canada with their children. I have been digging all around for this, but then again I'm not an immigration expert so I took my chance here:
there are 2 probabilities which can happen
  1. the ircc returns my application with some fee.
  2. my application got accepted and my other parent got banned to be sponsored by the principal applicant, this is okay for me as well. My old mother does not have intention to sponsor my dad and neither my dad wants to stay in Canada as permanent residence.
Side note: Canada is a region for young people, old people from a warm climate region cant handle the harsh cold climate in Canada

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Non-accompanying member still counts as family size. not having them in under "dependants" or "Non-accompanying member" still at least allow the sponsor an opportunity to bring the parent wanting to stay in Canada with their children. one draw back is the PRINCIPAL APPLICANT cant sponsor their dependants or spouse under Section 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

This approach is okay for some family which one parent does not like the Canadian weather/culture and never intend to stay in Canada as permanent residence(my dad said "why do I want to stay in a cold region where the people cannot understand me and neither I understand them, I would rather stay in a warm climate region where everyone understand me", this is reasonable to me lol), and the other parent can stay in Canada with their children. I have been digging all around for this, but then again I'm not an immigration expert so I took my chance here:
there are 2 probabilities which can happen
  1. the ircc returns my application with some fee.
  2. my application got accepted and my other parent got banned to be sponsored by the principal applicant, this is okay for me as well. My old mother does not have intention to sponsor my dad and neither my dad wants to stay in Canada as permanent residence.
Side note: Canada is a region for young people, old people from a warm climate region cant handle the harsh cold climate in Canada
The original answer was for a sponsor who does not meet the income requirement that includes the dependent. So your case do not apply.
He wants to not include the others because that's the income requirement for the number of family members that he can meet.