+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parental sponsorship

EaTONOty

Sep 29, 2018
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to sponsor my retired parent (65 years old) to immigrate to Canada. He lives alone and has a rare, chronic illness which needs to be monitored regularly so part of my objective for sponsorship is ensuring that he has more affordable and reliable healthcare as well as family reunification. Do sponsored parents have a right to healthcare?

In addition, I live in Quebec but would prefer to have my parent live in Vancouver where the weather is milder. Can a parent live in a different province from the sponsor?

I don't intend to live full-time in Canada due to professional obligations. However, I plan to keep my primary residential address in Canada (if possible) as well as pay taxes in QC? Does this preclude me from sponsoring a parent?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to sponsor my retired parent (65 years old) to immigrate to Canada. He lives alone and has a rare, chronic illness which needs to be monitored regularly so part of my objective for sponsorship is ensuring that he has more affordable and reliable healthcare as well as family reunification. Do sponsored parents have a right to healthcare?

In addition, I live in Quebec but would prefer to have my parent live in Vancouver where the weather is milder. Can a parent live in a different province from the sponsor?

I don't intend to live full-time in Canada due to professional obligations. However, I plan to keep my primary residential address in Canada (if possible) as well as pay taxes in QC? Does this preclude me from sponsoring a parent?
I'm assuming you're aware of the parent sponsorship lottery. You need to enter the lottery once it opens and be selected in order to sponsor your parents.

- Yes, parents have the right to health care however they must also pass the medical as part of the sponsorship process. If your parent has a health condition that is evaluated as placing excessive demand on the Canadian health care system, it's possible IRCC may refuse the application.
- Yes, parents can live in a different province.
- You must be living in Canada at the time you apply to sponsor your parents and must continue to live in Canada until PR is approved. Keeping a residential address in Canada while you work and live outside of Canada is not sufficient to meet this obligation. You must be physically living in Canada as your primary residence.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So sponsorship has not been open to new profiles since 2020. It is based on a lottery so you may wait years to be selected or never be. So next fall, they will announce intake for 2024. It may open up to new profiles or may not. Only about 15,000 are approved per year and right now about 120,000 are still in the pool from 2020. He has to pass a medical and not be a burden on the healthcare system. He cannot be medically inadmissible. If he passes, he has access to healthcare. He can live wherever he wants but application is processed from Quebec. You need to live in Canada, as that is the whole point of the program. So during processing you want to be living in Canada. Anyways it is years away for your father.