+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parental Sponsorship Quebec-2018

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
I was wondering if someone can offer their opinions regarding my (somewhat unique) situation. It's a little complicated so please bear with me.

I moved from the US to Quebec through an intra-company transfer sometime back and a portion of my compensation comes from stock grants. These stock grants are taxed both in Quebec and in the US. However, in order to avoid double taxation, Quebec refunds the portion of the tax paid to the US tax. The net result is that I have a somewhat interesting situation:
- My T4 slips show Quebec income + US stock grant income
- My tax return will be deducting the tax paid to the US as foreign tax rebate; effectively making the US stock grant non-Quebec sourced income.

Now, with regards to the parent sponsorship, the T4 slips definitely demonstrate the income needed however, the tax returns might create a more complicated picture. My question is, Is the amount listed on the T4 sufficient? or do the officers nit pick through the tax returns as well?
Hey @deadbird, so, was your US stock income included on the NOA (line 150) when you filed 2017 taxes?

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
That's unfortunate. Did u file 2017 taxes yet? If so, was the US stock income included in NOA?

Also sent you a message.
Yes, that's how I filed it. But the CRA is auditing me now, so I don't know what the outcome will be.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Did u get ur NOA eventually? How long did the audit process took?

@deadbird If possible, can you please provide your opinion on: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/chances-of-audit.611046
This was my timeline:
Apr 30: Filed both Canadian + Quebec taxes
Mid May: Received Canadian NOA
Mid June: Received letter from CRA that I am being audited. They asked for additional documents.
Early July: I submitted additional documents to CRA.
Early September: I called Revenu Quebec and asked for status on my refund. They said they'll make a note on my file.
Mid September: I received Quebec tax refund + NOA
Mid January: CRA sent a letter that audit turned out fine.

zirawood

May 17, 2018
Is a person eligible to apply for parents sponsorship if residing ( PR) in Quebec and have only one year eligible income to show?
I mean, is there no need to show three years income to Federal government?
Please reply in detail.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is a person eligible to apply for parents sponsorship if residing ( PR) in Quebec and have only one year eligible income to show?
I mean, is there no need to show three years income to Federal government?
Please reply in detail.
We do not know the details for 2020.

dimbo888

Star Member
Jan 2, 2015
as for the previous years, only one year was sufficient. As others pointed out no one knows how is it going to be this year.

Reactions: zirawood

yvanivanw

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Hello @deadbird,

I hope you finally got the invitation to apply from IRCC.

Since a portion of your annual income is from US stock grant, which is a non-Canadian source, will that be an issue when Immigration Quebec is evaluating your financial capacity? That being said, if I understand correctly, Quebec does not use NOA line 150 (which covers world-wide income) when it comes to income. Instead, they have their own way of doing it.

Thanks, and wish you all the best!

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Hello @deadbird,

I hope you finally got the invitation to apply from IRCC.

Since a portion of your annual income is from US stock grant, which is a non-Canadian source, will that be an issue when Immigration Quebec is evaluating your financial capacity? That being said, if I understand correctly, Quebec does not use NOA line 150 (which covers world-wide income) when it comes to income. Instead, they have their own way of doing it.

Thanks, and wish you all the best!
As long as the stock grant vest event is included in your T4 or RL-1 then it is considered Canadian sourced.