+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parental leave and continuous employment

zwz002

Apr 13, 2017
Hi all,

Writing with a lot of pessimism at the moment, but I guess there's not much I can do at this point.
A little bit of background info first. I have only one year and 1 month (so 13 months) of work experience and during that period, we had a baby and I took 6 weeks of paid family leave in total. (3 weeks in one month and 3 weeks in another month). I read through the forum and felt that there prob wasn't going to be an issue since my employer letter didn't indicate the family leave and I didn't leave the country during that time, so nothing on the travel history either. Therefore, I didn’t break my work history into 6 months employment-parental leave-7 months employment.
And I submitted my application a month ago and on Wednesday I got a response from CIC requesting for more documents. They asked for 12 months of pay stubs... my first reaction was, oh no, they will find out about my family leave because the pay was significantly lower during those two months and if they don't consider family leave as employment, then I wouldn't have enough work experience and my application would be rejected...
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
In fact, you should have disclosed this leave upfront at the time of the application. At the moment, your situation could be more serious than what you think. It could not only lead to rejection, but could also result in a ban due to misrepresentation by hiding such important information to get points for work experience that you may not deserve. You should come clean now and disclose the leave along with the paystubs and hope for the best.
Please wait for other responses from experienced members. Good luck!

zwz002

Apr 13, 2017
Honestly, I feel like CIC doesn’t really have a clear definition on things like parental leave, short holidays, etc. I obviously understand your point that this could be considered misrepresentation, but there’s just too much room for interpretation. I guess it’s really up to the officer now to decide what this is.
I purposefully applied after I had work for 1 year and 1 month, as I did take into consideration the parental leave period during my employment, but if they regard that as noncontinuous employment, then it’d be a different story. Quite frustrating...
In fact, you should have disclosed this leave upfront at the time of the application. At the moment, your situation could be more serious than what you think. It could not only lead to rejection, but could also result in a ban due to misrepresentation by hiding such important information to get points for work experience that you may not deserve. You should come clean now and disclose the leave along with the paystubs and hope for the best.
Please wait for other responses from experienced members. Good luck!

shy!

Sep 5, 2018
Hi all,

Writing with a lot of pessimism at the moment, but I guess there's not much I can do at this point.
A little bit of background info first. I have only one year and 1 month (so 13 months) of work experience and during that period, we had a baby and I took 6 weeks of paid family leave in total. (3 weeks in one month and 3 weeks in another month). I read through the forum and felt that there prob wasn't going to be an issue since my employer letter didn't indicate the family leave and I didn't leave the country during that time, so nothing on the travel history either. Therefore, I didn’t break my work history into 6 months employment-parental leave-7 months employment.
And I submitted my application a month ago and on Wednesday I got a response from CIC requesting for more documents. They asked for 12 months of pay stubs... my first reaction was, oh no, they will find out about my family leave because the pay was significantly lower during those two months and if they don't consider family leave as employment, then I wouldn't have enough work experience and my application would be rejected...
What do you guys think?
Hey! What was the outcome of your situation? I'm stuck in a similar crisis

Reactions: Vessela