+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent- what type of dependent?

DMM9

May 10, 2022
Hi[

QUOTE="DMM9, post: 10079180, member: 1088953"]
Hello, My spouse is filling up the IMM0008 form and he added me as a dependent with no issues. He then added his parent as dependent too and 3 types of dependents came up (Type ABC) that all address only the children. What should be the Type here? Thanks
1. Parents are not dependents, only spouses and children. Parents are shown on the IMM 5406
[/QUOTE]

DMM9

May 10, 2022
There may be an opportunity for you to sponsor them later, but only once you've lived and worked in Canada for three years and meet the minimum income requirements. There are limited spots available for parent sponsorship and the current process is to give those spots out through a lottery. Assuming you eventually qualify and are picked, your parents will need to pass a medical in order to be approved and this will include assessing if they have any significant health conditions that may pose a burden to the Canadian health care system. So definitely possible to sponsor them later and that's what it involves. Hope that helps.
Oh, wow. There are a lot of steps in this esp the health conditions thing- as we age, we do develop health issues! Well, I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!