Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
I am trying to understand or find in these posts more information about how the Parent Super Visa works. The information on CIC's website is very limited. CIC explains it thus:

With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status.

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

Here are my questions:
1. So the Parent Super Visa is valid for multiple entries over a 10-year period. They can stay for 2 years at a time. If they come and stay 2 years, how much time must go by before they can enter again and stay for another 2 years since it is valid for 10 years?

2. Can you apply to sponsor your parents and while that is being processed also apply for the Super Visa so they can come visit in the meantime or can you only apply for one or the other? The processing time is so long for sponsoring a parent that almost 10 years would go by before they would be able to come. If you can only do one, then that just delays the process even more.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
1) It is UP to ten years, at UP to two years at a time (your parents could be granted less). You might consider a regular TRV which has no requirement for health insurance (if you feel they won't need it).

2) You may apply for both concurrently. Just exit and reenter, is my understanding.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
I am trying to understand or find in these posts more information about how the Parent Super Visa works. The information on CIC's website is very limited. CIC explains it thus:

With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status.

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years on initial entry into Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

Here are my questions:
1. So the Parent Super Visa is valid for multiple entries over a 10-year period. They can stay for 2 years at a time. If they come and stay 2 years, how much time must go by before they can enter again and stay for another 2 years since it is valid for 10 years?

2. Can you apply to sponsor your parents and while that is being processed also apply for the Super Visa so they can come visit in the meantime or can you only apply for one or the other? The processing time is so long for sponsoring a parent that almost 10 years would go by before they would be able to come. If you can only do one, then that just delays the process even more.
1> technically they can just go out for 1 day and come back again to stay for 2 years. But good to have a one month gap. I say a friend parents , they stay for a year then went back for month and come back again to stay for 2 years
2> np, both can happen at same My parents have super visa and also in line for PR

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
truesmile said:
1) It is UP to ten years, at UP to two years at a time (your parents could be granted less). You might consider a regular TRV which has no requirement for health insurance (if you feel they won't need it).

2) You may apply for both concurrently. Just exit and reenter, is my understanding.
OK. Yeah, it does say "up to" so I see how that can be the case. Thanks!

jhutti said:
1> technically they can just go out for 1 day and come back again to stay for 2 years. But good to have a one month gap. I say a friend parents , they stay for a year then went back for month and come back again to stay for 2 years
2> np, both can happen at same My parents have super visa and also in line for PR
That's good to know. Yeah, I would think that you would want some time in between so as to not raise any concerns. Did your parents get the full 10 years on the super visa? Did they apply for the super visa first or the PR and then the super visa? I guess each time they enter they are given the amount of time they are allowed to stay. Have you seen it generally be the full 2 years? Thanks for sharing!

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
OK. Yeah, it does say "up to" so I see how that can be the case. Thanks!

That's good to know. Yeah, I would think that you would want some time in between so as to not raise any concerns. Did your parents get the full 10 years on the super visa? Did they apply for the super visa first or the PR and then the super visa? I guess each time they enter they are given the amount of time they are allowed to stay. Have you seen it generally be the full 2 years? Thanks for sharing!
they got super visa first before applying for PR . The super visa is upto valid passport date. So it is good idea to first have fresh passports applied for parents and then apply for super visa. No time is enter when they enter canada. officer do ask how long they plan to say. As such i think they can stay for two years but practically that is not possible as they do go back within year since we have home back.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
jhutti said:
they got super visa first before applying for PR .
I wonder if there any complications if it is done the other way around. I'm thinking that because it is such a long process. As soon as I get PR I would like to immediately sponsor my parents for PR. Then, in the meantime they could get a super visa to be able to come for longer periods in the meantime. They don't actually need a visa at all to visit Canada since they are US Citizens, but the super visa would allow longer visits.

jhutti said:
The super visa is upto valid passport date. So it is good idea to first have fresh passports applied for parents and then apply for super visa. No time is enter when they enter canada. officer do ask how long they plan to say. As such i think they can stay for two years but practically that is not possible as they do go back within year since we have home back.
I see. That makes sense. My mom just got her passport as she is going with my family and me on vacation to Canada this summer. I know that our passports are valid for 10 years as is hers. Renewing it to get the benefit of the full 10 years is a good suggestion. Thank you so much for your reply and first-hand information.

Hopefully your parents will be able to get PR soon...Best wishes to you on that! Sponsoring parents is a long process from what I understand. That's why I want to start the process as early on as possible.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Just be aware that you need three years of Canadian income of a certain threshold to sponsor your parents.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
truesmile said:
Just be aware that you need three years of Canadian income of a certain threshold to sponsor your parents.
I read that, "[y]ou must promise to provide financial support for the relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship to you. This time period begins on the date they become a permanent resident."

I believe this means you agree to support for 3-10 years, not that you have to have 3+ years of income on hand.

What you do have to have is a sufficient income level based on the household size which includes:
1. You
2. Spouse
3. Dependent Children
4. The number of people you are sponsoring (ie: parents & their dependents)
5. The number of people from previous sponsor undertakings you are still responsible for.

Then you calculate the minimum amount of income you must have based on the household size. For each of the three consecutive taxation years preceding the date on which the application is submitted to CIC, the sponsor (and co-signer, if applicable) must meet the Minimum Necessary Income, which is based on the Low Income Cut-offs plus 30%. See below:

The Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5772ETOC.asp#table1

kaps1235

Aug 9, 2014
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Nomination.....
15-11-2013
File Transfer...
28-01-2014
Med's Request
03-02-2015
Med's Done....
11-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-03-2015
Hello Forumites,

1. My brother is Canadian Citizen since last 5 Years (Immigrated in 2005).
2. My Parents visited on Visitor Visa to Canada and US in 2008.
3. My father passed away in 2013.
4. My brother had applied for Sponsorship visa (Parents / Grand Parents Category) in 2014 for my mother.
5. I have applied for FSW 2014 and recently granted Family visa for PR.
6. We are immigrating in next 2 - 3 months, my mother is only person left in India in our family.

My Query
Can we apply for Super Visa (Parents / Grand Parents Category) for my mother in the situation, when her file for PR is under process.

We already had her Medicals done.

Please give your views / opinions.

Regards,

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
kaps1235 said:
Hello Forumites,

1. My brother is Canadian Citizen since last 5 Years (Immigrated in 2005).
2. My Parents visited on Visitor Visa to Canada and US in 2008.
3. My father passed away in 2013.
4. My brother had applied for Sponsorship visa (Parents / Grand Parents Category) in 2014 for my mother.
5. I have applied for FSW 2014 and recently granted Family visa for PR.
6. We are immigrating in next 2 - 3 months, my mother is only person left in India in our family.

My Query
Can we apply for Super Visa (Parents / Grand Parents Category) for my mother in the situation, when her file for PR is under process.

We already had her Medicals done.

Please give your views / opinions.

Regards,
Yes, you can.

Nadalaa

Feb 29, 2016
Hi everyone,
We applied for my parents' super visa online recently but my father's passport expires in 4 months. He has already done biometrics and medical. Can he renew his passport before they request it to issue the visa?

If yes, would a new passport different than the one on file cause any issues?

Please help!!

MommyBear888

May 8, 2015
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2015
Doc's Request.
23-05-2015
Passport Req..
23-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2015
LANDED..........
12-01-2016
Hi there! Do you think one can be eligible for a parent super visa if his/her child doesn't work, only his/her husband?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MommyBear888 said:
Hi there! Do you think one can be eligible for a parent super visa if his/her child doesn't work, only his/her husband?
Yes - provided the husband is working in Canada. The husband can co-sponsor the application.

MommyBear888

May 8, 2015
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2015
Doc's Request.
23-05-2015
Passport Req..
23-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2015
LANDED..........
12-01-2016
scylla said:
Yes - provided the husband is working in Canada. The husband can co-sponsor the application.
I see. Thanks. That was such a relief. Because I'm checking cic website and it only says min. income requirement of the sponsoring child. Have you tried the super visa already?

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
truesmile said:
Wait a minute...now that I have actually been granted PR and am planning to land soon I am thinking about this again. Especially now that the current government wants to increase the numbers of parent sponsorships allowed each year. I was hoping to land and immediately sponsor my parents. Now that I'm looking more closely at this I'm trying to understand. Does this mean that you have to be living in Canada and must have filed your annual taxes 3 years before you can even apply? If so, that sucks, big time. It is such a long process to begin with, and if this is the case then that means we have to add another 3 years to process. Argh. :mad: