+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsorship :-Income Tax Return of 3 years :- Is it must?

simran1986

Feb 8, 2016
Hi,
I want to confirm if 3 years of income tax return is must condition for parent sponsorship? If yes, then newcomers with less than 3 years of income tax return can not apply?

What I personally understand is that minimum income is must and 3 years income tax return is for checking the stability of income which is not must condition if you have good earnings since you landed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: Income Tax Return of 3 years :- Is it must? Can newcomer apply ?

Correct - you cannot apply unless you can provide 3 years of Canadian income tax returns. If you have only recently arrived to Canada, you will need to wait until you have three years of work experience in Canada (at least) and three years of tax returns that meet the low income cut off requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Sorry - just to clarify - the three years is absolutely a "must condition" if you are living outside of the province of Quebec. This is not optional and your application will be automatically refused if you don't meet the three year requirement.

simran1986

Feb 8, 2016

In the sponsor eligibility, I didn't find anywhere they specified this. They have just mentioned about minimum income.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

simran1986 said:
In the sponsor eligibility, I didn't find anywhere they specified this. They have just mentioned about minimum income.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5772etoc.asp#gather
Question 15
Provide your employment history, including periods of unemployment for the last THREE consecutive taxation years preceding your application. Make sure that you do not leave any gaps in time.

Note: If you are applying in 2016, you must provide proof of income from CRA for the taxation years of 2014, 2013 and 2012.

Question 16
Indicate all income earned from all sources identified in the table below over the last three year period. Start with the most recent information in Year 1.

Use your Notices of Assessment (NOA) to complete the table. If you do not have paper copies of your Notices of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

simran1986 said:
Every province outside of Quebec requires 3 years income tax returns + additional year to wait for final tax return. So basically newcomers to Canada must wait around 4 years meeting LICO income amount before they will qualify to sponsor their parents.

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
Hi All – I’m a situation here. I don’t have any income in Canada in 2015 as my spouse was working here and I was working in my home country. I started working in Canada only from Oct 2016 and my income in 2016 was not as per the threshold to sponsor my parents. I got divorced at the end of 2017 (my wife was the primary applicant for PR). My income in 2017 was significantly higher than the threshold set for sponsoring 2 people. I applied for PGP 2018 and got randomly selected. I was going through a bit of rough mental state and without much research I went ahead with the application process. I paid the entire fees (including) RPRF for both my parents. Now I have received the following email from IRCC.

I’m pretty much aware of the fact that I cannot furnish the 2015 NOA and what that will transpire to. I'm still posting here to check if anyone has any suggestions.

This refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class you submitted to this office on behalf of My Father’s First name & Last name and family (if applicable). Please submit the following:

My UCI # 12345678 – My First name & Last name:

> 2015 Option C Print: Provide a Notice of Assessment or Option C printout issued to you by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for tax year 2015. Please note that T4 and T1 are insufficient and only Option C or Notice of Assessment will be accepted. If you do not have paper copies of your Notices of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount/). If you do not have access to your CRA online account, you may contact the Canada Revenue Agency and request a copy free-of-charge by calling 1-800-959-8281. This must be received at this office by: 2018/12/24

> Proof of Relationship to PA: The birth certificate submitted is insufficient. Please provide additional Proof of Relationship to Principal Applicant and accompanying spouse. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the original version. To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy. Neither you nor your family members may certify copies of your documents. This must be received at this office by: 2018/12/24

All requested documents/information and a copy of this correspondence must be submitted within the timeframes specified above (formatted as “year/month/day”). If you are unable to provide any or all of the requested documents/information, please explain why they are not available.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All – I’m a situation here. I don’t have any income in Canada in 2015 as my spouse was working here and I was working in my home country. I started working in Canada only from Oct 2016 and my income in 2016 was not as per the threshold to sponsor my parents. I got divorced at the end of 2017 (my wife was the primary applicant for PR). My income in 2017 was significantly higher than the threshold set for sponsoring 2 people. I applied for PGP 2018 and got randomly selected. I was going through a bit of rough mental state and without much research I went ahead with the application process. I paid the entire fees (including) RPRF for both my parents. Now I have received the following email from IRCC.

I’m pretty much aware of the fact that I cannot furnish the 2015 NOA and what that will transpire to. I'm still posting here to check if anyone has any suggestions.

This refers to the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class you submitted to this office on behalf of My Father’s First name & Last name and family (if applicable). Please submit the following:

My UCI # 12345678 – My First name & Last name:

> 2015 Option C Print: Provide a Notice of Assessment or Option C printout issued to you by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for tax year 2015. Please note that T4 and T1 are insufficient and only Option C or Notice of Assessment will be accepted. If you do not have paper copies of your Notices of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/myaccount/). If you do not have access to your CRA online account, you may contact the Canada Revenue Agency and request a copy free-of-charge by calling 1-800-959-8281. This must be received at this office by: 2018/12/24

> Proof of Relationship to PA: The birth certificate submitted is insufficient. Please provide additional Proof of Relationship to Principal Applicant and accompanying spouse. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the original version. To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy. Neither you nor your family members may certify copies of your documents. This must be received at this office by: 2018/12/24

All requested documents/information and a copy of this correspondence must be submitted within the timeframes specified above (formatted as “year/month/day”). If you are unable to provide any or all of the requested documents/information, please explain why they are not available.
I would respond and request that the application be withdrawn. There's no chance of approval since you don't meet the basic requirements to sponsor. No point dragging things out...

Based on the info you've provided, it sounds like you may qualify to apply when the program opens for 2020.

Reactions: sabret00the

sabret00the

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CPC: Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Not relevant
App. Filed.......
12-Sep-2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
25-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
06-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
31-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jan-2015 (TRV Meds have not yet expired)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
21-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Dec 2015
Yes even I was thinking in the same lines.

Angelimarb

Jan 17, 2020
Yes even I was thinking in the same lines.
Hi Sabret00the, I am in the same situation with my parents, I was wondering what was the outcome for your situation? In my case, I have been working in Canada since 2017, 2018, 2019 and my sister since 2018 & 2019; however, I do not meet the minimum amount required for 2017. I am over the minimum requirement for 2018& 2019 the same my sister. I was wondering if she can be a co-signer and if the overwage in the other years compensate somehow my 2017 low income. Please let me know what happened with your parents case to have an idea what to do with my parents application. I appreciate it. Have a nice day.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Sabret00the, I am in the same situation with my parents, I was wondering what was the outcome for your situation? In my case, I have been working in Canada since 2017, 2018, 2019 and my sister since 2018 & 2019; however, I do not meet the minimum amount required for 2017. I am over the minimum requirement for 2018& 2019 the same my sister. I was wondering if she can be a co-signer and if the overwage in the other years compensate somehow my 2017 low income. Please let me know what happened with your parents case to have an idea what to do with my parents application. I appreciate it. Have a nice day.
No - she can't. Only a spouse can co-sign. Having a sibling co-sign will result in automatic refusal.

No - a higher wage in other years does not compensate for low income in 2017.

You need to wait one more year to qualify.

BTW: For the case you're inquiring about, this person ended up withdrawing the sponsorship application since they didn't qualify and it was going to result in refusal.

Last edited:

karens

Jul 15, 2017
For the people residing in Quebec, the 3 year Income Tax return is not required is it? Sorry for my naivety, please can someone elaborate about the Tax Return for Quebec Residents who wish for Parental Sponsorship. Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
For the people residing in Quebec, the 3 year Income Tax return is not required is it? Sorry for my naivety, please can someone elaborate about the Tax Return for Quebec Residents who wish for Parental Sponsorship. Thanks.
The income requirement is different for Quebec but otherwise, the entire process is the same. There is no separate Quebec stream.

karens

Jul 15, 2017
The income requirement is different for Quebec but otherwise, the entire process is the same. There is no separate Quebec stream.
Ok, and could you share the Income requirement here for Quebec and how many years of Tax returns are required. Thanks.