+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent sponsorship 2016 plus dependent

karyl

Apr 21, 2010
I am planning to sponsor my parents this coming 2016. Having 3 members of the family, plus both parents (total of 5), our annual income for the last 3 years have met this requirement of CIC.
However, I have a younger brother, who qualifies as a dependent due to his physical disability. Do we have to include him in the application? Or can we just declare him as a dependent and keep the option open for the future. He will not accompany my parents to Canada. We do not plan to include him in the application yet, otherwise, our income will not meet the required amount for 6 members of the family.
I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks

nitin verma

Dec 8, 2015
can i submit my parent sponsorhip application in canada,i am a permanant resident here for the last 6 years.and my parents in india.

JanC

Dec 8, 2015
I have the same issue, I would like to sponsor my parents with my younger brother who is disabled but i would want him to land with my parents. He has a walking disability. Although he can walk, he is not as stable and in our country, there is no proper infrastructure for people with disabilities thus it is hard and not safe for him to commute to work so he stays at home. I know that he would not be a burden in Canada as the facilities that are built here for the PWD are amazing. The PUVs are designed to make sure the PWD can access the transit. And they have more opportunities provided for PWD work-wise. . My worry is that he might not be disabled enough to be a dependent. He is over 22.

Does anyone have the same case and was approved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JanC said:
I have the same issue, I would like to sponsor my parents with my younger brother who is disabled but i would want him to land with my parents. He has a walking disability. Although he can walk, he is not as stable and in our country, there is no proper infrastructure for people with disabilities thus it is hard and not safe for him to commute to work so he stays at home. I know that he would not be a burden in Canada as the facilities that are built here for the PWD are amazing. The PUVs are designed to make sure the PWD can access the transit. And they have more opportunities provided for PWD work-wise. . My worry is that he might not be disabled enough to be a dependent. He is over 22.

Does anyone have the same case and was approved?
I would recommend that you try including your younger brother in your parent's application. To be included, you'll have to provide that he is entirely dependent on your parents and incapable of living independently. I would start gathering this proof now. Of course it's possible CIC may end up removing him if they don't feel he qualifies. But you should certainly try.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
karyl said:
I am planning to sponsor my parents this coming 2016. Having 3 members of the family, plus both parents (total of 5), our annual income for the last 3 years have met this requirement of CIC.
However, I have a younger brother, who qualifies as a dependent due to his physical disability. Do we have to include him in the application? Or can we just declare him as a dependent and keep the option open for the future. He will not accompany my parents to Canada. We do not plan to include him in the application yet, otherwise, our income will not meet the required amount for 6 members of the family.
I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks
You can't have it both ways. You have two options:

You can list your brother as a family member - but not as a dependent. If you do this, then you will only have to meet LICO for 5 people but you/your parents will never be able to sponsor your brother for PR.

Or, you can list him as a dependent (either accompanying or non-accompanying). If you do this, you will need to meet LICO for 6 people.

karyl

Apr 21, 2010
Thank you for the clarification. I may have to wait another year to sponsor them all since our income for 2012 did not meet LICO for 6.
It would be a great advantage for my brother to be able to come to Canada. He is visually impaired and my other worry is that CIC may find him a burden to the government. I have heard some stories that some applicants were denied PR because they have dependents who are disabled.

kewlCanada

Jun 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
sent with applicaton
Hi Scylla,

As you are a VIP and experienced member I have few doubts question regarding Parent's sponsorship application.

• I would like to know if I can apply for one parent as my Income level (according to LICO figures stats ) is passing only for 4 members ( my total family members which is 3 right now) and if I include both parents total family members become 5 and I dont qualify ?
  • In the application guide I saw that sponsor-er should not be on social assistance , what does it mean ?
    Does it mean if ever sponsor er has applied for Employment Insurance in past he would disqualify ?

scylla said:
You can't have it both ways. You have two options:

You can list your brother as a family member - but not as a dependent. If you do this, then you will only have to meet LICO for 5 people but you/your parents will never be able to sponsor your brother for PR.

Or, you can list him as a dependent (either accompanying or non-accompanying). If you do this, you will need to meet LICO for 6 people.
[/list]

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
  • kewlCanada said:
    • I would like to know if I can apply for one parent as my Income level (according to LICO figures stats ) is passing only for 4 members ( my total family members which is 3 right now) and if I include both parents total family members become 5 and I dont qualify ?
    You must qualify for family size based on ALL parents/dependents, regardless if they intend to come to Canada or not. So for you, it must be family size of 5 for past 3 years.

• In the application guide I saw that sponsor-er should not be on social assistance , what does it mean ?
      Does it mean if ever sponsor er has applied for Employment Insurance in past he would disqualify ?
    Usually by social assistance they are referring to welfare. Being on EI would not affect the app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
karyl said:
Thank you for the clarification. I may have to wait another year to sponsor them all since our income for 2012 did not meet LICO for 6.
It would be a great advantage for my brother to be able to come to Canada. He is visually impaired and my other worry is that CIC may find him a burden to the government. I have heard some stories that some applicants were denied PR because they have dependents who are disabled.
In cases of disability, CIC will see if the person will exceed the Excessive Demand Threshold, currently set at $6387/year. If CIC decides that they will exceed that, then they would send a procedural fairness letter. I suggest you search the forum for others who have received such a letter to learn more.

Sunil_JZ

Star Member
Jun 21, 2015
Anyone get any further with plans to sponsor parents and dependent sibling, has another topic been started on this?