+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parent Sponsoring About Income Requirement

bigocean

Mar 19, 2018
Hi everyone
i could use some advise about income requirement for sponsoring my parent. please advise thanks

here are my situation:
me (single)
mum (divorced - single)
i did some research on CIC website about the family size, i know my family size is 2 and income requirement for family of two is $39,813 (2017) $39,371 (2016) $38,618 (2015) if i want to apply now.

i only met the requirement for 2017, my 2017 income is $45,000, so i need two more years before i can submit the application which is around 2020.

i plan to get married this year 2018, by then my family size will become 3, and according to LICO requirement i need to make at least $48.945 for family of 3.

my question is:
if i sponsor my mum in 2020, will my 2017 income still eligible(because i'm single in 2017)? or do i have to start all over again because my family size increased when i apply, so i have to meet LICO for 3 family member for 2018, 2019,and 2020?
if assume i have a baby in 2019, does that mean i have to wait another year, because my family size is 4 at that time, and i have to meet LICO for family of 4 for 2019, 2020,and 2021 before i can sponsor my mum?

i hope i explained my question clear, thanks for your advise, guys.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
The only family size that matters, is that on the day you submit the actual application. This is the family size you must meet for 3 previous years.

So if it's you + spouse + 1 kid + 1 parent = 4 at the time you apply, then you need to meet LICO for 4 in 3 previous years from application date. This means adding family members before submitting the app, can make previous tax years suddenly no longer qualifying.

IRCC wants to see you have 3 consecutive years of income that is applicable to your family when you actually apply. They don't care if you have lower income for a family size that is not relevant to your app.

After you qualify and submit the app, future changes to family size only count for years going forward, not the 3 previous years.

Reactions: YVR123

bigocean

Mar 19, 2018
The only family size that matters, is that on the day you submit the actual application. This is the family size you must meet for 3 previous years.

So if it's you + spouse + 1 kid + 1 parent = 4 at the time you apply, then you need to meet LICO for 4 in 3 previous years from application date. This means adding family members before submitting the app, can make previous tax years suddenly no longer qualifying.

IRCC wants to see you have 3 consecutive years of income that is applicable to your family when you actually apply. They don't care if you have lower income for a family size that is not relevant to your app.

After you qualify and submit the app, future changes to family size only count for years going forward, not the 3 previous years.
thx Rob
i understand now,
if i stay single and maintain my current income for 2018 and 2019 then i can sponsor my mum in 2020 as family of 2

if i get married this year, then my family size would be 3, and my 2017 income is no longer valid, i have to meet LICO for family of 3 in 2018, 2019 and 2020, so i can apply in 2021

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thx Rob
i understand now,
if i stay single and maintain my current income for 2018 and 2019 then i can sponsor my mum in 2020 as family of 2

if i get married this year, then my family size would be 3, and my 2017 income is no longer valid, i have to meet LICO for family of 3 in 2018, 2019 and 2020, so i can apply in 2021
Yes that sounds correct.

This also assumes you even get selected in the lottery when you do qualify. Not sure how long I would delay getting married, simply for the chance to be selected in a lottery. Some people will go many years, possibly forever, without ever being selected.

If you happen to be getting married to a Canadian or PR, they can be a so-signer so may actually help with qualifying.

Reactions: YVR123

Catherine1616

May 18, 2020
Yes that sounds correct.

This also assumes you even get selected in the lottery when you do qualify. Not sure how long I would delay getting married, simply for the chance to be selected in a lottery. Some people will go many years, possibly forever, without ever being selected.

If you happen to be getting married to a Canadian or PR, they can be a so-signer so may actually help with qualifying.
Yes that sounds correct.

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply. May I ask where is the above information (re counting family member after getting married) sourced from? I don’t seem to find any relevant information from IRCC website on what income requirement does the sponsor need to meet if there’s a change in #s of family members in the 3 preceding years. The reason I ask is I receive contradict information from an immigration consultant who says for the above example bigocean set out, the sponsor only needs to meet the income requirement for a family size of 3 in 2017 when he/she is still single.
Thanks in advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your reply. May I ask where is the above information (re counting family member after getting married) sourced from? I don’t seem to find any relevant information from IRCC website on what income requirement does the sponsor need to meet if there’s a change in #s of family members in the 3 preceding years. The reason I ask is I receive contradict information from an immigration consultant who says for the above example bigocean set out, the sponsor only needs to meet the income requirement for a family size of 3 in 2017 when he/she is still single.
Thanks in advance!
Your replying to a post that is 2.5 years old.

Reactions: nayr69sg

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Rob,
Thanks in advance!
This thread is discussing old rules. The rules changed the following year. This is why you heard different information. Please don't resurrect old threads.

Reactions: nayr69sg