+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parallel applications under FSW (Category 1 & 3)

ubcli

Nov 15, 2013
Hi everyone,

I know that similar questions have been asked before, but every case is different and I really need your help on this.

Short story: Can we/should we make a second (parallel) application under FSW?

Long story:
Me and my spouse are both phd students in Canada with both 1 year of work experience from Turkey. Last week, we made an application under FSW PHD stream (category 3). The principle applicant is my spouse, and his primary occupation is 'Electrical and Electronics engineering'.

Now, with the new rules (after May 2014), there is also an opportunity for us to apply under FSW category 1. There are two options:

option a) My spouse as the principal applicant under category 1 with Electrical and Electronics engineering work experience from Turkey
option b) Me as the principal applicant under category 1 with Software engineering and design experience from Turkey

Hearing about all the rejections and excessive delays in PhD stream, I believe it can be very advantageous to have 2 parallel applications under different categories. First of all, is it even possible? Secondly, how should we apply ? (option a or b)

I appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

much_mann

Star Member
Feb 12, 2012
It is perfectly legal to apply under both category but only one will be process to finalization. As per your specific case, you mentioned that your wife was the PA in your PhD stream application in that case if both of you qualify as FSW then you guys should weigh which application gives the most points and go with that.

If that turns out to be your wife's it is still okay. I guess the only thing you guys will spend more on is getting all the documents required to support these applications. Even if both applications go through and you are required to withdraw one, your processing fees will not be refunded

ubcli said:
Hi everyone,

I know that similar questions have been asked before, but every case is different and I really need your help on this.

Short story: Can we/should we make a second (parallel) application under FSW?

Long story:
Me and my spouse are both phd students in Canada with both 1 year of work experience from Turkey. Last week, we made an application under FSW PHD stream (category 3). The principle applicant is my spouse, and his primary occupation is 'Electrical and Electronics engineering'.

Now, with the new rules (after May 2014), there is also an opportunity for us to apply under FSW category 1. There are two options:

option a) My spouse as the principal applicant under category 1 with Electrical and Electronics engineering work experience from Turkey
option b) Me as the principal applicant under category 1 with Software engineering and design experience from Turkey

Hearing about all the rejections and excessive delays in PhD stream, I believe it can be very advantageous to have 2 parallel applications under different categories. First of all, is it even possible? Secondly, how should we apply ? (option a or b)

I appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

BehBeh2

Star Member
Oct 8, 2014
Hello ubcli,

You said here that your experiences are from Turkey, But your nationality in the tracker is stated Iran. Could I ask If your nationality is stated correctly or you are from Turkey?

Thanks!

ubcli

Nov 15, 2013
Hi Behbeh2,

We are from Turkey, not Iran and I don't know why it is stated so.

BehBeh2 said:
Hello ubcli,

You said here that your experiences are from Turkey, But your nationality in the tracker is stated Iran. Could I ask If your nationality is stated correctly or you are from Turkey?

Thanks!