+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paper-Based vs Computer-Based IELTS

eirevir88

Dec 28, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Category........
FSW
I am really devastated with my results but I do not want to give up.

I took IELTS once in the UK in 2017 and twice recently in Abu Dhabi.

4th March 2017 (Paper-based - CB is just recently introduced) - L-7.5 R-7 W-7 S-7

1st November 2018 (Paper-based) Results - L-7.5 R-8 W-6.5 S-7.5
7th December 2018 (Computer-based) - L-8.5 R-8 W-6 S-8

I felt I improved in my writing as I paid an IELTS essay checker and his evaluations to my essays were 7 and of course with computer-delivered, the writing part is way faster and more convenient than paper-based. Is it that since it is computer-delivered, writing part appears to be easier, and so the standard will be higher? I really felt bad..

Please give advice for those who have experienced this.

nipa123

Star Member
May 13, 2018
Can I have a pencil and paper while giving the computer based test, I need that to draft my listening answers?

Please someone reply.

Thanks

eirevir88

Dec 28, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Category........
FSW
Can I have a pencil and paper while giving the computer based test, I need that to draft my listening answers?

Please someone reply.

Thanks
They give paper and pencil on each part of the test but I don't recommend making notes for listening, You don't have enough time to make notes on paper on the actual exam, 10 minutes at the end of the listening part is not provided on computer-based unlike paper-based.

Jimmycan

Feb 7, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am in Toronto ..... and planning to appear in computer based IELTS..... just wanna know, if it does spelling check in LISTENING part........ Writing I know it doesn't...... but was doing some sample test and it was showing spelling errors in listening part...... was just wondering whether that happens with the original LISTENING test also..... Can you please guide..... Thanks

Arif@786

Feb 7, 2019

Please someone reply.

Thanks
Yes, The test centre will provide you the white sheet and a pencil for making rough notes and will be collected back at the end of the test session.

cyrilcb11

Jul 30, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
I want to share my experience. Computer based is far better than paper based.
Paper based; L8 S7 R6 W6
Computer based; L8.5 S7.5 R7.5 W 6.5
A lot of one word only in both listening & reading for computer based exam.(I'm not a fan of 3 words).
If you have a chance just go for Computer based.

Jms_16

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am in Toronto ..... and planning to appear in computer based IELTS..... just wanna know, if it does spelling check in LISTENING part........ Writing I know it doesn't...... but was doing some sample test and it was showing spelling errors in listening part...... was just wondering whether that happens with the original LISTENING test also..... Can you please guide..... Thanks
No there is no spell check in any module for computer based

Captain789

May 27, 2018
I am really devastated with my results but I do not want to give up.

I took IELTS once in the UK in 2017 and twice recently in Abu Dhabi.

4th March 2017 (Paper-based - CB is just recently introduced) - L-7.5 R-7 W-7 S-7

1st November 2018 (Paper-based) Results - L-7.5 R-8 W-6.5 S-7.5
7th December 2018 (Computer-based) - L-8.5 R-8 W-6 S-8

I felt I improved in my writing as I paid an IELTS essay checker and his evaluations to my essays were 7 and of course with computer-delivered, the writing part is way faster and more convenient than paper-based. Is it that since it is computer-delivered, writing part appears to be easier, and so the standard will be higher? I really felt bad..

Please give advice for those who have experienced this.

I have pretty much the same scores, two paper exams W -7.0, 6.5, then in the computer based version - also 6.5. I was so happy to write an essay with computer, so I wrote around 320 words in the 2nd section. I was told that they deduct points if you write too much, but I am not 100% sure. Will check this moment later.

Captain789

May 27, 2018
I honestly prefer the computer version because it is easier for me to do the listening section in my headphones. Also it is much better because no one is disturbing you, walking around to check your passport every 30 mins.