+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Panic with filing for PR and having DUI

tanyalavine

Aug 16, 2010
Hello!

I was hoping I might be able to get some guidance. My husband has a DUI from 2005. He moved here to Canada in 2006 on a temporary resident visa and a student visa. Now he has received notice that he must apply for Permanent Residency. However, he was originally told that he could not apply for a pardon for 5 years, which he just hit. We have gone to a company to do the pardon for us, to make sure we don't make any mistakes. But, we just found out that it could take a year or two to get the pardon. Immigration told him he might not be able to apply for another temporary permit, and that he had to apply for PR. Does not having the pardon finalized cause a problem? We aren't sure what we should do, and are a bit upset at the moment. Does he still apply for PR, with notice that a pardon is in progress, or does he need to wait to have pardon in hand, and notify the Temporary permit office that he is waiting for the pardon? The only infraction he has had since the DUI was one minor speeding ticket. I appreciate any insights!

Thank you so much!

saly

Aug 16, 2010
tanyalavine said:
Hello!

I was hoping I might be able to get some guidance. My husband has a DUI from 2005. He moved here to Canada in 2006 on a temporary resident visa and a student visa. Now he has received notice that he must apply for Permanent Residency. However, he was originally told that he could not apply for a pardon for 5 years, which he just hit. We have gone to a company to do the pardon for us, to make sure we don't make any mistakes. But, we just found out that it could take a year or two to get the pardon. Immigration told him he might not be able to apply for another temporary permit, and that he had to apply for PR. Does not having the pardon finalized cause a problem? We aren't sure what we should do, and are a bit upset at the moment. Does he still apply for PR, with notice that a pardon is in progress, or does he need to wait to have pardon in hand, and notify the Temporary permit office that he is waiting for the pardon? The only infraction he has had since the DUI was one minor speeding ticket. I appreciate any insights!

Thank you so much!

tanyalavine

Aug 16, 2010
I feel better now. Apparently we just have to file for Rehabilitation, and all is good. We don't need the pardon at the moment. Although we have that in progress anyway to make sure it's all take care of together.