+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng. License Application from Overseas...plz Help!

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Dear All,
I am a chemical engineer with Master's degree and 9 years of relevant experience at a renowned chemical company. I have completed my short landing recently and currently looking for a job from overseas (not in Canada anymore). To work in Canada, I have been told I need to apply for the P. Eng. license or work under the supervision of another engineer. As I think Alberta has more chemical related jobs, I am thinking about applying for APEGA P.Eng. License.
1. The license process involves some exams (below) for which I will need to fly to Canada frequently which makes it difficult. Does anyone have the experience of acquiring a license from overseas?
1.1. Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) : Not sure if I will be asked to appear, this exam can be written only in the US or Canada.
1.2. National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE) : This exam either I take in Canada or if I appear from overseas, need to have a physical proctor who must be a professional member of a Canadian or US jurisdiction (which is impossible to get where I live!)

1.3 Technical Exams: Note sure if I need to appear, but these are offered only in Canada which makes it difficult for me to write them.
2. Should I just apply for jobs without any license and start working under the supervision of a P.Eng. license holder for the time being and apply for license later from Canada? Is it realistic to get a job without any license? If yes, the only drawback I can think of is that I will not get the proper designation or maybe a lesser salary, but then it will be only for a short while till I get my P.Eng. license.
3. I don't think that with 9 years of experience, I need to apply for EIT license. Also, I guess APEGS and PEO are also similar with the exam requirements so no particular advantage of applying for them compared to APEGA. Please correct me if I am wrong.

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Anyone who has been in a similar situation? Please do share your experience/advice.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Anyone who has been in a similar situation? Please do share your experience/advice.
I think you need to apply for an EIT to work as an engineer. After one year as an EIT, you can upgrade to P.Eng